Chapter 10 - Tumbling walls - part 3

Despite their victory over the Goeda and the fact that they would probably never come back, the Woeden were sad for their dead. Mercifully, there were only six. Phileas told Eliana and Khyros that there would be a mourning wake that night. Then, he insisted they be checked over by Ingua. Neither had any serious injuries, though Eliana needed rest. So once they were told they were okay, they headed back to their hut to rest for a little while until the wake. Eliana sighed and sat down on her bed.

"Are you really okay? That was one heck of a power surge..."

"Energy projection," Eliana corrected automatically. "And I'm fine, I'm just tired. What about you? You look exhausted too."

"I could use some sleep," he admitted.

He looked at her, then came and sat beside her.

"... Why? Why would you risk destroying yourself? We barely know these people..." he asked. "I mean... it... doesn't make sense."

"How can you even ask that?" Eliana asked in disbelief. "They have been incredibly generous to us! And you were ready to fight with them!"

He still looked confused.

"I knew my advantage," Khyros said. "You..."

He seemed to be searching for his words.

"... used it." she said.

Khyros thought for a moment.

"Yeah, I guess you could put it like that..." he agreed.

Without thinking he slid his arm around her shoulders.

"Were you really worried about me?" Eliana asked with a slight tease in her voice.

A tiny smile touched his lips.

"No, it was just for show."

Eliana laughed tiredly and leaned against him. Before they knew it, he leaned backwards, pulling her with him. She leaned into him and their eyes closed before they could stop them.

That was how Phileas found them a few hours later. Eliana opened her eyes and saw she was in Khyros's arms... His eyes opened at the same time. They looked at each other, and quickly moved away from each other.

"Sorry!" they said at the same time.

Phileas had a suspicious glint of amusement in his eyes.

"Sorry to disturb you, I just wanted to let you know the wake was about to begin... you helped us fight, they all wanted you to join."

"Uh... we-we'd be honoured, of course," Eliana said. "Thank you, we'll be right there."

"Very well." Phileas smiled.

He smiled and stepped out, leaving Eliana and Khyros alone in an uncomfortable silence.

"Sorry about falling asleep on you," Eliana said after a moment.

"No, it... it's okay." he said, glancing away. "We were both exhausted... it just happened. Nothing wrong with that. It's not like we... you know..."

"Right," Eliana said, flushing furiously. "Come on, let's go..."

They went outside where a large fire had been lit in the centre of the village. They were burning the bodies of their dead and the Geoda, though that took some convincing, according to Phileas. Eliana couldn't entirely blame them. The Goeda had attacked them. They had killed six Woeden. That had to be painful. They watched the flames illuminate the village in a gentle golden orange glow. Some sang, some listened, others cried in silence. The wounded had been tended to by Ingua. Eliana couldn't help but think it felt very different from what her world did for the dead. Before she realised it, she had leaned against Khyros once again. To her surprise, he gently pressed his head against hers.

"D'you realise this is easily the longest period of time we spent without fighting?" Eliana asked.

Khyros stiffened when she said that. Confused, she straightened up and said:

"... Did I say something I shouldn't have..?" she asked.

"... No, no... it's nothing."

He got to his feet and walked away. He was asleep when Eliana went into the hut about an hour later. She sighed and wondered why he was so complicated before as she fell asleep.

Eliana was woken by a faint drumming sound above them. She opened her eyes and looked outside.

Yep... that's rain. Good thing they finished those huts yesterday... she thought to herself.

"It's lucky we're not out in the forest, right?"

She looked at Khyros sitting against the doorframe.

"Yes, that's for sure," Eliana said, getting to her feet.

She crossed the room slowly. Khyros shifted aside so she could sit down too.

"... Are you okay?" she asked carefully. "You barely said a word, last night..."

He wasn't looking at her.

"I'm fine." he said shortly.

"Stop it!" Eliana snapped, annoyed.

He look at her.

"Stop what?"

"Your attitude!" Eliana retorted. "Pushing me away! What have I ever done to you?"

He was so surprised, he answered honestly without hiding behind his snark.

"Nothing, bu-"

"Then why do you always have to reject me?"

"... You're a Cethielite."

"You know this is about more than that."

He sighed. Then, he said:

"All right. Say we become friends. We find the heart and stop this mess, get everyone back to normal... and then what? You go to Cethiel and I go back to Thendaria. The barrier comes back up and we're stuck on either side. What then?

"..."

"So that's why. It won't work."

"Well of course not, if we don't try!" Eliana said.

"It's not just a matter of physical distance." Khyros added.

"What do you mean?" She asked.

He got to his feet and stared at the rain.

"... It's not just that I can't be your friend." he said. "It's that I don't want to be."

Eliana stood frozen for a few seconds, then got to her feet and said:

"Then you're even more of an idiot than I thought." she said, and stormed off into the rain.

Khyros stared after her then marched off too, with that unpleasant feeling that you've done the right thing, but it still stinks.