Chapter 1 - Cethiel - part 1

The beeping sound stopped. As the medical team let her family know that she had died, Lea turned to find the person who'd held out her hand. Tall, thin and beautiful, with huge silvery blue eyes and dark hair, wearing a long white dress. Now that she looked, Lea saw that the stranger had an ethereal look about her, and what Lea realized were wings in her back... An angel...

"Who are you?" she asked

"I'm Etheria. I am in charge of helping spirits cross over."

Lea looked at her lifeless body on the stretcher, now being covered with a white sheet.

"Poor kid," one of the doctors said. "About my girl's age, I think."

Lea stared at her, then looked back at Etheria.

"... I... I'm dead...?" she whispered.

She hadn't wanted to believe at first, but there was no denying now.

"I'm afraid you are. Your time had come." Etheria answered quietly.

"But why? I haven't even graduated yet!"

"No one really know why they have to die at one point in time rather than the next," the angel said. "But the reason usually comes to you eventually."

"Usually? So it doesn't always?"

"... Well, only to those who don't truly look," Etheria said. "Come on."

Lea backed away.

"Whoa, hold on, I have to see my mother, my friends..."

"I'm afraid that's not possible." Etheria told her. "You mustn't stay in this world too long, or you'll be stuck here. And since humans can't see you, there would be no way for you to free yourself."

Lea looked at her body, and looked back at the angel.

"Come on," Etheria said. "They're waiting for you."

"... Waiting for me? Who?"

"Come with me, and you'll find out."

She held out her hand. Lea took it and instantly felt herself floating upwards. Through the roof of the hospital, higher and higher above the city. Lea looked down as what had been her life gradually moved further and further away from her.

"I know it's hard and confusing," Etheria said gently. "But you'll be fine."

Eventually, they reached the cloud bank high above.

"All right, through the cloud cover," Etheria said.

Lea followed her through it, and she was blinded by a dazzling bright light, causing her to shield her eyes with her hand. When she opened her eyes again, she wasn't bothered anymore. She took the chance to look around The sun shone brightly above the most beautiful place Lea had ever seen. Before them was a tall golden gate. Behind it, Lea could just make out a city. Or signs of life - sorry, of settlement -, anyway. Pristine white marble buildings or with silver and gold ornaments, with people flying around with beautiful white wings. She glanced at Etheria, who had now turned to flesh and blood. Or more corporeal than she had been anyway.

"Lea, this is Cethiel."

It took a moment for Lea to be able to speak.

"It's incredible..." she finally whispered.

"Come on," Etheria said. "You need to be named."

"... Named?"

"Yes." She said. "When you die and come here, you're evaluated to see whether you should be in Cethiel or Thendaria."