Chapter 15 - Second Chances - part 2

The seats of the Hall were full when they stepped inside. Theos was observing everything silently. When everyone was seated, he called for silence.

"Her Royal Highness, Queen Phaedra."

As regal as every other time she'd seen her, Eliana watched the queen come into view, standing next to Khyros near the foot of the staircase to reach the seats. Everyone was waiting tensely for the outcome, she could feel it. There was a general restlessness about the audience, and even Eliana had to admit she felt nervous. Khyros was trying to hide it, but she could tell he wasn't exactly comfortable either.

"We have gathered here to decide whether Khyros should be permitted to remain among us." Queen Phaedra said in a calm, clear voice. "And to do so, we must perform another judgement ceremony."

"Just send him back!" said someone.

"How dare you interrupt our Queen!" Theos said sharply. "Be silent at once."

The Queen put a hand to his shoulder to appease him, then said:

"It is unfair to judge what you do not know. Please, Khyros, come forward."

Eliana squeezed his arm encouragingly as he moved away. He paused in front of her in the center of a circle, which Eliana now knew was a portal for Thendaria. And once you were in it... you couldn't get out. It was meant to avoid unhappy people or particularly bad ones to try and sneak out or attack the Queen. She and Khyros looked at each other. There was no sound except for the pounding of Eliana's heart in her chest.

"When you first appeared before me a year ago, I believed you were a good person who'd had a terrible hand delt him. And I tried to change that by offering you redemption, forgiveness. However, you chose the path of pain and solitude. And now, here you stand before me again. If given the choice, which path would you take this time?"

Khyros seemed to think about his answer, then said:

"Where my heart leads."

There were a few surprised whispers at that. Eliana was pretty sure no one, not even her, had been expecting that answer. But she wasn't sure what he meant by it.

"I see. And where does it lead you?"

This time, he had no hesitation.

"To Eliana."

There was an outright series of gasps and ohs from the audience, this time. Eliana froze, her eyes wide in shock.

"I see," Phaedra said again. "But what if I decided you couldn't remain in Cethiel?"

"... I'd accept it. I would rather she be here, safe without me, than with me in Thendaria."

There was a silence.

"You have changed," Queen Phaedra said. "And I am prepared to offer you a place here, however, I wish to hear Eliana's voice on the subject."

Eliana flushed furiously as everyone looked to her, even Khyros. But it made sense. After all, she was the only who could say she knew him... She took a deep breath and stepped forwards. She stood near Khyros, though not in the circle, and turned to look at them all.

"When Khyros and I first met each other... we didn't get along too well, remember Khyros? And for a while, I was pretty sure we never would. And it didn't bother me, because he was a Thendarian and I was a Cethielite. We had no business getting along in the first place. And then... I'm not sure how it happened, we... sort of grew on each other, I guess. Or maybe we both realised we just had no choice but to get along if we wanted to end this... And from then on... it was like nothing could stop us. Oh, we still had our disagreements, of course. But he was always there when I needed him most. And I tried to do the same for him. Being a Thendarian is not a bad thing. Not all of them are good. But I know that Khyros is nothing like them. It's not up to me to tell you how I know it, but I do."