☙6❧

I felt pretty drowsy when I woke up. My eyes closing tighter though I could feel the heat of the sunlight on my skin. A groan escaped from my tight lined lips, my face snuggling into the belly of my pillow further. But the movement had me gasp from how painful it was to move. Groaning again, I pried my eyes open.

I stared at my headboard, the previous night's events rushing back to me like a head on collision. Everything from running after Newt in the woods to seeing Auric morph into a wolf in front of me before fighting with another boy, and then finally having dragged Auric all the way home to bath and dress his wounds.

With the bit of will that I had to ignore the pain in my body, especially in my hand and elbow, I threw off my covers. Newt woke startled at my brash motion, but then stood on my bed shaking himself off and jumped off the mattress. It was then that I could see that my sheets were covered in dirt and blood; I had forgotten to clean myself off before getting into bed.

Pushing aside that I was going to have to clean my bedspread and sheets later that day, I trudged toward my bathroom to brush my teeth as quickly as I could before going over to my bedroom door and opened it. Newt was by my side, most likely because he needed to relieve himself. We walked down the stairs, heading into the kitchen so that I could open the back door and let Newt run out and sniff around.

Leaving the door open, I walked back inside and slowly made my way to the living room. I bent myself forward, peeking around the corner and over at the couch. There was the bundled heap of the blanket that I had tossed on top of the moody wolf I rescued the night before. I squinted my eyes to see that the blanket was moving up and down slowly from the still sleeping form underneath.

Walking fully into the living room, I heard Newt bark loudly---startling me and Auric. The blanket shifted around until the backside of the dark wolf peeked through and then the wolf backed up all the way for the blanket to fall off his snout. His gold eyes met mine as I was frozen to my spot.

He was watching me carefully and I swallowed hard. 

I'm still trying to figure out why I haven't full blown freaked out that a human could morph into a wolf on command or the fact that I was calmly and willingly wanting to help the ringleader of the group that threatened to kill me if I spoke about Raymond's murder.

What was wrong with me?

Wasn't I supposed to react like a normal human being would, and run for the hills that a werewolf truly existed and it was after me?

But I didn't. Maybe it was because of being emotionally drained after losing my parents... maybe I really was crazy as my classmates thought and this was all just a nightmare that I was living continuously. Perhaps my psychiatrist was going to need to up my medication---or give me something completely different after I mentioned that werewolves existed. But then that would require me to explain that I knew who killed the Wilcox family.

I lifted my hand to my messy hair and scratched at it in frustration. What I thought was a simple life I'd be living suddenly became a lot more complicated and---and insane! Ugh...

Dropping my hand to my side, I noticed that Auric was sitting down, his eyes still watching me in that cautious manner. Pursing my mouth to the side, I shrugged a shoulder.

"So... I guess I should check on your wounds... okay?"

He glanced away then back at me, his lip lifting as he growled at me. I narrowed my eyes at his snippy attitude and told him that I was only trying to help so that he could be on his way, but that his moodiness was not helping any matters.