☙7❧

"Boo!"

"Sweet Baby Jesus!"

Christa chuckled, smiling at me after jumping out of thin air. I narrowed my eyes, looking away from her and muttering so she could still hear that she knew I hated being scared. My best friend laughed again, nodding that she knew but that I needed to lighten up.

I rolled my eyes, pulling out the new sketchbook I had to purchase because my previous one had gone missing.

I couldn't remember where I misplaced it, so I resorted to just getting a new one for class. Ms. Bernice wasn't very happy that I had lost the sketchbook with all my year's work in it but because of my good grade in her class, she'd let me purchase a new book. She told me that it wasn't a big deal since she'd seen all my work anyway and had taken photos of every student's work the day it was presented.

Christa frowned at her nails, clicking her tongue against her teeth and told me that she had tried to text me a few times this past weekend, but that I didn't respond. 

This was true. She did text me a few times, something about getting together so that we could write that paper she happened to get another extension on again, but I ignored her. I was getting sick and tired of being used and needed when it was convenient for Christa.

"I know,"I replied nonchalantly, shrugging my shoulder as I was closing my locker.

She frowned, her green eyes wide under her furrowed brows. "So then why didn't you answer?"

I shrugged again, replying that maybe it had to do with her getting a taste of her own medicine of being ignored for once. Christa scoffed, grabbing me by the arm and stopping me from moving forward. She flicked her hair off her shoulder and narrowed her eyes.

"What's been up with you lately? You've been really weird..."

Frowning, I snapped, "How do you figure? You're never around to see me anyway!"

Christa held up her hand at my face, scoffing, "Okay, drop the tude, Thea. So I haven't given you my undivided attention at every fucking waking moment. But that doesn't mean you can blame me."

"Blame you?"

"Yeah, I mean... come oooooon! You have no idea what it has been like to be around you these past months." Christa rolled her eyes, shrugging, "You've been such a downer about everything and I---I dunno if I want to be around that anymore. It's starting to depress me and I'm not even diagnosed to be on medication."

My head craned back, my lips parting at her words. She seemed to pick up on what she said because she rolled her eyes again and smiled, "Oh come on, Thea. You just... I dunno... I just feel like maybe we need to have a break from one another... you know?"

I couldn't believe what I was hearing. Christa was telling me that she didn't want to be around me because she found me too depressing? Because I was not throwing confetti around like everything was great after I had lost my parents months back? Is she kidding me? Just when I thought my life was going to return to normal... it's starting to fall apart again.

Christa smiled weakly at me, raising her brows, "It'll only be for a little while, Thea. I can go hang out with other people who I've been talking to... and you... well... you can deal with what is still burrowed inside that brain of yours."

My brows furrowed the more she spoke, and I looked away into thin air, in complete disbelief of my best friend treating me the opposite of the way a best friend should. She was ditching me now that her popularity was at stake. When I needed her most, she was saying how we needed time apart to 'find ourselves'.