☙40❧

Chaos.

It was in every part of the woods that my eyes caught. Wolves of different shades and sizes against advanced humans; and the entire woods echoed with shrill, agonizing screams and pained howls and yelps.

There was not one part of the woods where someone was fighting against the other. In one section there was a wolf aiding another in tearing apart a Hunter; the limbs being shredded as the person lay choking on their own blood and gurgling their scream.

Then there was the few Hunters successful enough to ambush a wolf or two. The wolf didn't see the second coming since it was so focused on the first in front of him. The second Hunter leapt, stabbing her dagger into the back part of the wolf's neck and dragging her arm downward to slice open a gash into the animal's back.

It was happening all over the place and it only seemed to get worse. More gruesome.

My heart was pounding in my ears as a wolf and I were back-to-back against two Hunters cornering us. I swallowed, frowning at the man in front of me. He grinned, shaking his head like he was chastising me silently for being on the "wrong side". It was for the wolf behind me that I was even taking so long to take this man out.

I had to wait for the wolf to make the first move so that I knew what to do next, but that seemed to be taking a lot loner than I expected. Sneering, I rushed forward, colliding with the man who did the same to me; luckily, the wolf got the hint and striked. She jumped on the other Hunter, snarling and lashing her sharp teeth at his face once she got him on his back.

The Hunter I was facing off with went down quickly after I reached behind me to yank out a knife from its sheath and flipped it around to grip properly before sticking the knife into the man's throat. He choked out a strange noise, his eyes wide as he stared up at the dark sky. I yanked out the knife, letting his blood ooze out of him as he struggled to save his own life.

A strangled yelp behind me made my eyes widen and I spun around to see the Hunter shoving off the wolf whose coat was matted with red on its side. Before the Hunter could finish his work, I used the same knife to make my kill and tossed it in his direction. It pierced right into the back of his head, lunging his body forward and onto the ground in a heap.

I pushed off my knees and rushed over to the heavily panting wolf. Her stomach was breathing up and down as she stared forward. When i reached her side, her eyes slowly turned to me. I swallowed, biting my lip as I took the time to stroke her fur. She seemed to like the comfort I was giving her as I weakly smiled. I think she knew she wasn't going to make it, but was appreciating that I was treating her like she was.

She suddenly growled, looking behind me, and I was too late in seeing the hand come swinging around to punch my head. I was knocked over and groaned, shaking my head from the impact. The yell from the Hunter that had hit me was accompanied by a growl and then a whine. My savior wolf had leapt with what little strength she had left and took out the Hunter just as he stabbed her clean through.

They both now lay with one on top of the other, lifeless.

Shutting my eyes, I gave a second to thank the wolf before shoving to my feet and taking off to aide someone else.

A snarl from my left had my eyes shift in that direction to see a dark wolf gnashing its teeth at a dark haired girl who was bracing herself with a knife. I shot that way, having to dodge a few Hunters that tried to take a swing at me with their knife and other weaponry.

I barely missed a bullet before I elbowed the shooter in the face and pushed the palm of my hand into her elbow to hear the cracking noise of it breaking inward. With its misshapen look, she was too busy screaming at the pain she was in for her to notice me coming in to put her out of her misery by snapping her neck.