☙19❧

The whole drive back to the Dennison property was quiet. Not even the radio was playing in the car. The Six were quietly sitting in the backseat while I sat in the front passenger seat and stared out my side window.

A lot was going through my head at the moment. So much, in fact, I wasn't sure what to do with it.

What did this mean for me now?

Was i going to have to stay in Blood Moon Falls forever so the Six could protect me?

Why did my parents have to be... Them?

Or a better question would be why did my mom have to be who she was...

She was a werewolf hunter. Someone who knew how to murder other people... For what though?

Was it really worth being known as notorious in the supernatural world?

There was so much going on in my head that I didn't know where to begin or who to ask all these mind-boggling questions. It crossed my mind that I could ask Mr. Dennison a bit more about what a werewolf hunter was and where they came from... But it scared me to think that my own flesh and blood had been a part of that.

She killed so many... Or so I was told.

And here i was, growing up thinking that I was just ordinary Thea. The teenage girl who was lactose intolerant... allergic to eggplant, strawberries, raisins, and cinnamon... Who was raised to be polite and non-violent...

I leaned my head back against the headrest, watching the trees blur together as Auric drove.

That was something else my mind was occupied with. My mother had tried to kill him when he was only a year old. Or threatened to...

But why?

What did she sense about him that he was her main target?

I turned my head to the side, staring at his scowling profile. His gray eyes narrowed straight forward, brows furrowed, the corners of his lips pulled down and his grip on the steering wheel tight. The setting sun peeked from the tree tops and its fading rays were shining through the front windshield, hitting Auric's eyes to shimmer into an almost transparent color.

I didn't know if he could sense me staring at him as I wondered what it was that would make a grown woman want to kill a child that he used to be... But i couldn't get that part out of my mind. Did mom know something...?

Argh! It was so frustrating!

I turned away back out my window, frowning at the scenery rushing by. I jumped a little from the vibration coming from my back pocket and glanced downward before lifting up my hips to retrieve the phone that stopped vibrating.

Internally, I groaned at the number of missed calls from Aunt Penny.

I was so screwed.

There were over twenty-five text messages, countless missed calls, and five voice mails. I grimaced, my thumb swiping downward to tap on the voice mail icon then pushed the green arrow before placing the phone to my ear.

"You have five new messages. First message was left at two-forty-five p.m."

"Hi, Thea, sweetheart. Just calling to let you know that I won't be working late tonight so I'll be able to make some Fettucine for dinner! I hope you come home hungry! I know you are still in class so I'll hang up now... See you at home. Mwha!"

"Message two was left at three-fifty-six p.m."

"Thea... I've been texting you to see where you are. I'm not sure if there is more construction and you have to take the long way around.... Why don't you call me where you are and I'll come pick you up. Love you."