Chapter 1: Starting Over

Life is so unfair! That’s what basically every American teenager thinks at some point most days. And I swear I have my reasons for thinking life is actually unfair. Yeah, I know life isn’t fair and all but still. Anyway, this time it was because my life had been turned upside down. I was forced to move away from the only place I had ever called home to move in with my aunt that I didn’t know.

            I couldn’t even think about why I was here. So, I stood there just watching the cab go back down the road. It was all I could focus on. It hurt too much to think about them. And I was not about to cry. Not here and not now. I had been crying too much over the last month as it is.

            The cab disappeared around the bend in the dirt road. I turned to the house that I was supposed to be calling home from now on. It was pretty average. Two floors, pale, normal green. The only thing impressive was the land it sat on. Acres and acres of open fields and then even more covered by trees. Slowly, I make my way down the driveway towards the backyard. A couple men stood around the back of a pick up, drinking from water bottles. As if on command, the men put down their bottles at the same time. One climbed into the back of the truck and started handing wood to the others. The men carried it to end of a fence and resumed working on it.

            Beside the men and the fence, stood a building about the size of a standard garage, only taller. That’s probably going to be Trigger’s new home. He’ll love it here. There’s even more grass for him and more land for us to explore. Trigger is my pretty palomino pony. {A/N If you don’t know what a palomino is look on the side and you’ll see a picture.}

            A woman’s yell from within the house turns my attention from the barn back to the house. Cautiously, I make my way back to the front of the house where my bags are. As I round the corner of the porch, the front door flings open. A stout woman in her 40’s stands in the doorway. She waddles down the stairs towards me looking like a penguin trying to rush. Before I could even introduce myself, she’s pushing me up the stairs and into the house. She sits me down on the couch and huffs back outside.

            Curiosity made me follow her. She quickly takes the handle of my two duffle bags. Even a woman as out of shape as her has no problem with them. They contain only clothes. All of my other belongings are coming with my sister. She, my horse, the car, and our stuff are on their cross-country trek form Colorado to Massachusetts. Our neighbor is kind enough to help us out and his son is too.  

            The woman looks up and down the road like she is going to cross the road before her. She starts to turn around and I sprint back to the chair I had abandoned. Just as I make contact with the less than comfortable chair, she comes back in the door. I resist the urge to say “ow” and rub my behind. The chair is really hard and I landed in it with some serious force. It hurt! The door slams against the doorframe and the mysterious women turns to me.

            “Which one are you?” No introduction?

            “Uh?”

            “Don’t ‘uh?’ me. I will be treated with respect. Now answer my question.”

            “I don’t even know what you are asking me.”

            “I said respect! That means no backtalk.” That wasn’t back talk, was it? “And when you answer me say ma’am. Which twin are you?”

            “I’m Rikki. May I ask you who you are?” Her eyes turn hard as she continues to stare at me. “ Ma’am.”

            “Well, Rikki. I’m you’re aunt.” Oh joy! I get to deal with her. “Are you the one that acts or rides the filthy animals?”

            “Elle is the one who acts. I’m the one who has the horse, ma’am.”

            “Then let’s get one thing straight. No one is allowed to know you are here. You stay inside and stay quiet.”

            I just stared at her with my mouth open. Was this lady really telling me a 13 year old orp- no I can’t use that word. A 13 year old girl that I was not allowed to leave her house.  What is her problem?

            “Close your mouth. It’s unbecoming of a lady. Grab your bags and follow me to your room.”

            I did as I was told. My parents had taught me to respect my elders, no matter how much of a witch with a capital B they were. I walk silently behind her and up to the second floor.

She opened the door and said this is yours.

            “There is a computer over there. Do whatever.”

            “Wait.” She stops walking away to and stares at me. “Does this computer get internet?” I had to know. I go to an online school based out of New York City. It’s different but I like going to an online school. It had been my dad’s idea last year.

            “Yes. I understand you go to school online. Which makes staying hidden even easier.”

            She turned and walked out. I sat there trying to figure out why she hates me but came up with nothing. I had only just met the woman minutes ago. What could I have done that made her hate me so much? It wasn’t Trigger was it? She did call him a filthy animal and all. Whatever. It’s not like I am in any mood to deal with that problem right now, and I promised to call Elle as soon as I got here.

            I hit speed dial #1 and the ringing began. After a few rings, Elle’s voice came through the speaker.

            “Hey there, sis. Are you there yet? Is it nice? Is she nice? What does th-?”

            “Elle, you need to calm down and I will answer your questions.”

            “Yeah, I’m here and I really haven’t talked to her yet. She’s letting me- uh, get settled.” No need to worry her.

            “What about you guys? Where are you?”

            “We just went through Oakley, Kansas. And Jack is about two hours behind us in John’s car.”

            We continue talking for another 2 or so hours, mostly to keep her occupied as she went through miles of cornfields. We hung up when they stopped for dinner.

            With nothing to entertain me until I finally felt the need to sleep again, i sat down to do my summer work. I really don’t get that. Summer is supposed to be our break from school so why do we have to do school work? It is all online so while I was waiting for it to turn on, my aunt came up and opened the door. Without knocking, I might add.

            “I’m leaving. I have some work to do over at the school before the students get back from summer break.”

            She runs a performance arts high school across the street. Elle’s going there in the fall. I really hope she does well there. We both were picked on a lot since we skipped the first grade and are younger than our grade. She walked out of my room and a minute later the door closes. Turning my attention back to the computer, it is still slowly waking up.

            The only reason I’m here without Elle is the stupid law in Colorado that says we had to be with our new legal guardian within 4 weeks of the death. But first we had to track her down while planning a massive funeral. Then we had to pack up our lives and plan the trip. By the time everything was done we were on the last day in the time limit so I flew out here while Elle rode with Mr. Griffon.

************************************************************************I just want to say a few things really quick.

thank you for reading!

If you switched over from the other version, thank you for not giving up.

I’m sorry I have been MIA for a little while. There has been a lot of other stuff I have to do. But I will be on summer break in about 2 weeks (finally) and then Ill be uploading more frequently!

Again, thanks for taking the time to read my story!