Chapter 23: Forgiveness is a Virtue

Jake’s POV

            That light is so bright. Why is the world so cruel?

            “Morning Jake.”

            “No need to yell.”

            “It’s not my fault you got drunk.” The pounding in my head got worse.

            “That pounding is… I don’t even know how to say it.”

            “That’s not your head. It’s the door.”

            “Oh.” I looked over and in came Liz and Amber followed by Matt.

            “Catch.” Liz threw something towards me. I didn’t even try to catch it. It just fell in to my lap. It’s my phone.

            “Why did you have my phone?”

            “How drunk were you?”

            “Apparently, very. But why did you have my phone?”

            “You seriously don’t remember?”

            “What did I do?”

            “You drunk dialed your brother. Then you called Rikki 5 times. We stopped you from leaving messages but that didn’t stop you from trying. So you said them out but she’ll never get them. After all of that, you were sure every pole we pasted was person. You went up to each one.” She was laughing too hard to finish.

            “Quiet, please?” She stopped laughing.

            “Sorry. But so you walked up to each one and started having conversations with them.”

            “I did not.”

            “Fine. Don’t take my word for it. Matt, show him.”

            Both Matt and Amber came over at the same time. Amber was carrying a Gatorade and some pills. She handed them to me as I mumbled thanks. In Matt’s hands was his phone. He turned it towards me to show me the screen. 

            A video was playing and I was the star. I walked right to a pole and started talking to it. “And it goes on for another 5 minutes.”

            “Please delete that. I will do anything.”

            “I don’t think I will. Maybe this will stop you from getting drunk again.”

            “Just don’t let Rikki see it.” The second I said it, I knew I had made a mistake. Now that he knows I don’t want her to see it, he’ll make sure she does.

            “Oh. Maybe I should send it to her right now.”

            “No!” Liz, Amber, and I all said together. Chad and Matt stared at the three of us while I stared at Liz and Amber. Why are they against her knowing?

            “Why not?” I can’t tell them. It’s not my story to tell.

            “We can’t tell you. Only Rikki can and she doesn’t want to talk about it with anyone. But trust us when we say that sending that would be a very bad idea. Rikki cannot know he was drunk. Please.” That was the most I have ever heard Amber say at once.