Chapter 19: Pain is Inevitable; Suffering is Optional

Rikki’s POV

            I don’t know how long I slept for but what seemed like a few minutes later my phone was beeping. I looked down and saw I had a new voicemail. I opened it and listened as Jake’s voice came through the speaker.

            “Hey, Rikki. I don’t know where you are but I’m outside your window right now. I was hoping to tell you this in person but over the phone will have to do. We can't be friends anymore. The band is more important. I’m sorry but this is goodbye.”

            I dropped my phone and ran down the stairs and out the back door. I continued around the side of the house until I was right below my window. But Jake wasn’t there anymore. He was gone from my life. Really gone.

            I had been hoping that when he hadn’t stopped me earlier he was just shocked but it wasn’t that. The band was more important to him. I wouldn’t mind as much if he would have told me in person and not in a cold message.

            Sinking to the ground, a single thought came to mind: This is why I didn’t want anyone getting close to me. It only causes hurt. I have lost so much and I can't take it anymore. I’ve lost my friends, my horse, and my family.

            The tears fell from my face again. I had always considered crying a sign of weakness until my family’s funeral. Some said to me “You know crying doesn’t mean your weak. It means you’ve been strong for too long.” It didn’t make much sense but I knew they meant crying isn’t a weakness. Other than that I was lost.

            But maybe I need a life motto. Some quote to repeat in my mind when things get tough. Getting  up, I knew I had a new mission. I was going to find the best life motto I can. It doesn’t matter how long it takes. I’m going to do it.

            I went inside and went up to my room. There is a lot of work to be done and I want it to be done tonight.

Izzy’s POV

            The stereo is blaring some new Katy Perry song. I wasn’t paying much attention. It was the first day back to school and everything seemed to be going great. I had the same room assignment as last year. Same building. Same girls. I don’t mind at all. I really like Christina, Lily, Liz, and Amber.

            But something just feels weird. I haven’t had this feeling in a while. The last time I had it, Rikki ended up going to the hospital with a dislocated shoulder. I figured it can't hurt to check in on her. Something is telling me to.

            The phone is ringing and after four I know she’s not picking up. She said she was going to meet up with Jake tonight but even then she usually answers her phone. Finally, her voice comes through the phone.

            “Hey. It’s Rikki. I’m out doing something. You know what to do at the beep.”

            She didn’t answer. She never doesn’t answer unless we are fighting and right now we aren’t. Something is up. I’m going to have to find Jake’s band and make sure she is okay. But I have no clue where they practice but I do know someone who might. Christina. Her brother is in the band.

            “Hey. Christina!”

            She poked her head into the room we shared. She, like the other three girls, was in the common room.

            “Yeah?”

            “Do you know where your brother’s band practices?”