Chapter 26: Are you going to kiss me or not?

Rikki’s POV

            “Jake, there is something I need to tell you.”

            What are you doing? Keep going!

            “I-”

            “Do you smell that?”

            “What?”

            “The smell. It smells like smoke.”

            Smoke?

            “Oh my god, the popcorn.”

            “The popcorn?”

            I spun on my heel and ran back to the  kitchen. How stupid can I get? I left the popcorn on the stove with the burner on. And now the popcorn is on fire. What do I do? Oh jeez.

            “Move!”

            I move away from the stove top and watch as Jake sprays white foam onto it. I turn to him and see him holding the fire extinguisher. That probably would have been a better idea than just standing here like a moron. Jeez, think Rikki! You are supposed to be smart.

            “So now what?” I said as I turned my attention back to the remnants of the popcorn.

            “Well, I suggest we go outside. I don’t know about you but the smell is getting to me.”

            “Alright but first lets open the windows. It will help with the smell.”

            Jake went into the dining room and opened the windows in there. I went into the pantary and opened that window. I was back in the kitchen pulling the nail out that “locked” one of the windows, when Jake came back in talking to himself. Or maybe he’s on the phone. I don’t know. My back’s to him.

            I turn around and his phone is to his ear. Continueing on with the task at hand, I tried not to listen in on the conversation. But I mean he’s talking right there. How can I not listen?

            “No, we’re fine. Can you just come get us?”

            There was silence as the person on the other side responded. I unlocked the window in front of me.

            “Yeah, I was thinking she could just sleep at our house tonight.”

            There was a very short pause.

            “Yeah, the smell is that bad.”

            I moved on to the last window as the person responded.

            “K, thanks. See you soon.”

            He hung up and I spun around to him.

            “So, you wanna spend the night at my house tonight?”

            “Sure. I’m going to go pack a bag with clothes. I’ll be right back.”

            “I’ll be out on the front porch. Austin will be here in a few minutes.”

            I ran upstairs and grabbed my bag that still hadn’t been unpacked from the cruise. I emptied the contents onto the floor. I’ll clean it up at some point this summer. Probably when I need clean clothes. I tossed some clothes into the bag and went to the other bag. I really need to unpack. Digging through the various pockets, I finally found my toothbrush.