Chapter 21: Bizarre Things Happen

-May- 

            “Have fun in Cleveland, Jake. See you when you get back.”

            “Bye, Rikki.”

            I hung up the phone and thought back to September. So much has changed since the band found out my secrets. Not only have we all grown closer, even Chad and I, but their music is being played at school lunches. Which apparently is a big deal.

            Aunt Jane has lightened up on me. She even apologized for making me sell Trigger. She got me a bracelet with a brass name plate on it. Then, to top it all off, she invited me to come on a Caribbean cruise with her and Izzy. I just can’t believe she is lightening up on me. It doesn’t change the fact she had been awful to me that first year. It also doesn’t explain why she has done all of this. Because I’m still not allowed to leave the house and be seen.

            But whatever. Onwards and upwards. Time to move on and stop dwelling on things I can't explain.

            So, Jake and rest of the school are on one of the various field trips. Izzy and the drama kids are going to New York to see a show on Broadway. Jake and the band are going to Cleveland to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. I didn’t listen to where any of the other people are going.

            But everyone is going to be gone the rest of the week. Meaning I am free for the next 6 days. Austin is coming over in a few minutes. We are going to take the camaro out. Just then the door bell rang. Speak of the devil…I ran down the stairs and to the door. Austin was standing on the other side.

            “Hello!”

            “Some one is excited.”

            “Of course I am. We haven’t taken the car out in so long. I’m surprised you are excited. You love the camaro.”

            “Thanks for reminding me I love your car.”

            “Your welcome. Now can we go.”

            “As you wish.”

            I pulled him down the garage and gave him the keys. I climbed in and sat there waiting for the slow poke to make it the driver’s side door. He was purposely going slow to annoy me. That jackass.

            Finally he made it to the door and climbed in. he started the car and then played with the radio. “Austin. Drive. I will find a station.”

            He mumbled under his breath. I didn’t quite catch it but it sounded like he said I was pushy. Most people would defend themselves and say no I’m not. Me? I take it as a complement. I don’t care if it wasn’t meant to be one.

            “So where are we going? Or are we just driving aimlessly again?”

            “No. I have a plan.”

            I sat there as he started driving. “Well, are you going to tell me?”          

            “No but I will give you directions.” I pulled a piece of paper out of my pocket. Well, actually there are three papers. “Do you know how to get to 57?”

            “Yeah.”

            “Get there and go east.”

            He turned down a few roads and the hit 57. “How long do I stay on here?”