Chapter 14: New Season, New Friends

      “Who’s that?” It was Austin. I turned to face him and saw Aunt Jane glaring at me. This should be interesting.

      “That is my niece, Rikki.”

      “Nice to meet you, Rikki.” Austin stood and extended his hand for me to shake.

      “Nice to meet you as well, sir.” I wasn’t supposed to know his name so I couldn’t exactly call him Austin.

      “You don’t have to call me sir. I’m Mr. Burton, but you can call me Austin.”

      “Well, hello Austin.” Aunt Jane looked like she was about to scream. I looked up at Austin but he was looking at my aunt. Hopefully he’ll just go along with this. “So, if you don’t mind me asking, what are you doing here?”

      “I’m a new music teacher here. Are you a student?”

      Before I could answer, Aunt Jane did. “No, in fact Rikki goes to a different school and will be leaving in a day or two. Right?”

      “Yeah. I don’t spend much time around here.” I wonder where she was going with this.

      “I believe you are actually the first faculty member to even meet her. But I’m sure she has some packing to do and should be going.” And that is my cue to leave.

      “I don’t want to interfere with your time with your niece. She should stay”

      “It’s up to Rikki.” The phone started ringing. “Please excuse me.”

      The second she was out of the room we were laughing. “Thanks for doing that Austin. It was fun. But I should probably go before she decides to make my life even harder.”

      “Just one more thing. Don’t let my little brother screw stuff up for you. If you need someone for anything, you know where to find me.”

      “Thanks Austin.”

-Skip to June-

      Austin and I have gotten pretty close over the last few months. He’s even been helping me with John’s car. It needed some work after being neglected for a year. But everything must come to an end.

      The school year has ended and the school is totally deserted. Even Aunt Jane has left already for Florida, again. She goes there a lot. But I’m not complaining. Whenever she leaves, I have a little less to worry. And now I have even less to worry about since everyone is gone. Elle is still around and so are Jake and Austin.

      Speaking of Austin, where is he? He is supposed to be coming over to take John’s car out. We finally got it running again and today was the day we were going to get it registered. But I need him to drive.

      Finally I can hear a car coming down the road. Austin pulled up and stopped in front of the house. He climbed out and I tossed him John’s keys.

      “Ready?” I have been waiting for him to show up for a while and I just want to go.

      “Impatient?”

      “Yes, now can we go? Please?”

      “Why are you so anxious to get the car registered? It’s not like you can drive it yet.”

      “I know but I don’t think John would want me to let his car just sit in the garage. I was thinking you could take it out every so often and drive it. I mean if that’s okay with you.”