Chapter 17: Hello. Goodbye.

Ms. Baker’s POV

            That girl is going to die. She has disobeyed me and now someone knows her and about her. She needs to learn her lesson. I have a few hours to figure what her punishment will be. The flight is two hours long and it’s in two hours. She will regret disobeying me.

Rikki’s POV

            After the car incident, Austin and I agreed not to take the car out for a little while. If we ever get pulled over in it again, Aunt Jane is going find out who was driving. If she finds that out, then Austin is looking for a new job. And Elle and I will be going to a boarding school. 

            Hopefully, she won't send me away now because of this. I’m really liking it here. Austin and Jake are two of the best friends I have ever had. The rest of the band is amazing. I don’t think I could handle leaving here.

            But I don’t have to worry about that for now. Aunt Jane won't be back for another two weeks but Jake is getting back today and we have plans. He is supposed to be coming over in a few hours so I should do my chores before he gets here.

            I pulled on my shoes and headed out to the barn. Trigger came to the fence of his pasture when he saw me. I smiled. He is so sweet. I love him. He has made this past year a little easier.

            “Hi, boy. Are you having a good day?”

            Yeah, I talk to my horse. So what? He usually responds.

            He threw his head up in the air and then nudged me. I pulled a carrot out of my pocket. Before I had it to his mouth, he was reaching for it. He munched it and then took off around the pasture. Typical Trigger. Once he has his food, he’s gone.

            I watched him for a few minutes then went inside the barn and started my chores. After cleaning his stall, sweeping the floor, and cleaning my tack, I had killed over two hours. Jake wasn’t going to be home for another 3 hours, meaning I need a new distraction.

            Not knowing what to do, I went and sat on the fence while watching Trigger graze. Then it hit me. Duh. I can go out on Trigger. Wow, I’m stupid. I went back inside and decided to go out bareback so we could go swimming.

            I called Trigger in and put the bridle on. I lead him to the fence and climbed up onto his back. Slowly, we made out way towards the woods. Trigger didn’t need to be told. He immediately went to the trail we had made that leads to the little pond.

            He picked up the pace and jumped over a few logs that had fallen over the path in the last year. The trees suddenly stop and we are surrounded by the meadow. The wildflowers are even better this summer than they were last year. The yellow and purple flowers have taken over a lot of the ground. There is clover and grass covering the rest of the ground. I take Trigger’s bridle off. He won't do anything. He trusts me. He goes straight over to the grass.

            I make my way to the water’s edge. The water is cold but in this weather it feels nice. This state’s weather is all over the place. Two days ago it was 60°F and today it’s close to 100°F. It’s one thing about this place I don’t like. I walk into the water and then slip under.

            I return to the surface in the middle. It isn’t that deep. Maybe 4 or 5 feet, but it’s refreshing. After half an hour, I head back to Trigger. He’s still grazing. I take the bridle off the branch I had left it on. He lets me put it on without a problem.