Chapter 11: Too Close for Comfort

Chapter 11:  Too Close for Comfort

            We both sat there in silence. Of course they were back! School was back in session tomorrow. I was being so stupid. I let Jake cloud my mind. I screwed up. He left his jacket downstairs and now Ms. Baker was going to see it. Then she would kill me. She would probably take Jake’s scholarship away so he can’t tell anyone about me.

            “Rikki?” The voice was getting closer. Jake and I still hadn’t moved. The record was still playing its music. Steps were just outside of my door when we snapped out of our shock.

            I stood up and dragged Jake to the window. “Climb down. I’ll bring your coat out to the barn in a few minutes. Wait there for me.” He swung his leg out of the window and the knob on the door was turning.

            “Go.” I hissed at him. But it was too late. The door opened while Jake was still visible.

            “What is going on here?” It was only Elle. That made this a little better, not much, but still better.

            “Uhhh… Jake is sneaking out.” I didn’t know what else to say. It looked bad. And lies would just make it worse.

            “Yeah I see that. But why?” She stepped through the door and closed it behind her. Jake was still straddling the window sill.

            “Jake just come back in. And is it really you business, Elle? You haven’t talked to me for weeks.”

            “Because of him. Because this was bound to happen. Aunt Jane will find him up here in a few minutes. Then all three of us are dead. You and I will be sent of to some boarding school that we will probably hate. Jake will be kicked out. And all of this is because you couldn’t follow one simple rule.”

            “I can’t believe you just said that. That ‘one simple rule’ is that I’m not allowed to leave this house. Ms. Baker is forcing me to become a hermit. While you get to have friends and fun. You don’t get to judge me. Not anymore.”

            Elle took another step towards me. Her face showed just how angry she was. If this was a cartoon, there would have been smoke coming out of her ears. She really doesn’t like being yelled at, but then again who does? And who cares?

            A lot of girls can’t throw a decent punch but not us. John had taught us how to fight. It was one of the advantages of it just being the three of us out in the middle of nowhere. But now it meant this was about to get very violent.

            Elle’s right hand flew through the air and made contact with the side of my face. I knew she could punch but she just bitch slapped me. I can’t believe she just did that.

            “You’ll pay for that Elle!” I threw a right hook at her but she moved faster than me. It didn’t matter though. I was expecting to be faster than me. Before she could go for me again, I dropped to the floor and kicked her feet out.

            She fell with a thud to the floor. She stared at me for a few seconds before rising up. “Oh. It’s on, Rikki.” She took off her shoes and pulled her hair back.

            “Rikki! Izzy! Stop it! You’re sisters, don’t do this.” Jake whisper yelled. We stopped and looked at him. Once he had our attention, he continued. “If you really want to fight, then find do it. But not now. And please go to a gym or somewhere where you can get protection stuff. Right now, though, I need to get out of here and get my coat before Ms. Baker finds me. So can we please figure that out first?”