Chapter 16: Good Girls Are Bad Girls That Don't Get Caught

Chapter 16: Good Girls Are Bad Girls That Don’t Get Caught

Ms. Baker (Rikki’s Aunt)

            The cemetery was quiet. No one else was around. After an hour of searching I found them. My sister, her husband, and the nephew I never met.

            Suddenly, it was too much. It really hit me. My sister was gone. It’s been over a year. I should have accepted it by now and I thought I had.

            Emily was really gone. I may not have spoken to her for over 25 years but she was still my little sister.

            I sank to the ground and let the tears fall. The last time I saw her she was leaving to go marry Michael. I hated that day. It was the day she left me and our dreams.

-Flashback- 26 years ago

            “Emily! Please can’t you stay here instead of going out to Colorodo?”

            “I’m sorry Jane. But Michael wants to move out there and-”

            “But what about our dreams? Our parents dreams?” She can’t leave me here alone. Our parents didn’t want us to face the world alone. That’s why they had us do everything together. They had us dance together. Take singing lessons together. Everything we did was as a team.

            “That’s the thing. They were never my dreams. They were Mom and Dad’s, not mine. I want to do my own thing. But that doesn’t mean you can’t still follow the path Mom and Dad carved for us.”

            She really was going to leave me. “So you’re just going to stop singing?”

            “Never. But I don’t want to make a career of it. I know one day you’ll see your name in lights if you keep at it though. You are better at it than me. Good luck.”

            She hugged me and climbed into the cab. I watched her disappear into the New York traffic. If she’s leaving New York, then so am I. I’m heading to LA.

-End Flashback-

            I’m so sorry Emily. I should have said that a long time ago. I should have never sent that letter.

-Flashback- 23 years ago

            I hate LA. New York City is much better than here. Someday I’ll move back out there, I thought as I walked to the post office. I had a letter to mail to my sister Emily.

            “Dear Emily,

                        That day when you left me in Ney York I realized something. You were giving up on your career. I will never do that. Until you realize what singing meant to our parents and return to it, I can’t forgive you. Hopefully when you have children you will have them pick up where you left off. Or at least in the arts. The way we were raised.

                                                                                                Goodbye,

                                                                                                      Jane”

            I bought a stamp and put it on the corner of the envelope. Placing it in the mailbox without a single tear, I walked away from my sister. Metaphorically, that is.