Chapter 29: Another New Start

-A Few Months Later-

“Breakfast is ready!”

            I turn over to Jake but he’s already gone. Living at his house actually has been pretty awesome. He lives not too far from the town center and I can actually go outside! School is out for summer now but, when it was still in session, Matt, Chad, Liz, and Amber were around all the time.

            “Rikki? Are you eating?” Standing in the doorway, is Austin.

            “Yeah, I’m coming.” Standing up, I walk towards the door. As I walk past Austin, he grabs my shoulders.

            “You excited to be going to college tomorrow?”

            I only nodded in response. I don’t know how I feel about tomorrow. I mean I’m leaving my life again. Here, I have great friends and a wonderful beau. And there… I know no one and I’ll be the weird freaky kid that is younger than everyone else.  But then again, I really, really want to go to UMass Amherst.

            “Here you go Rikki.” Rebecca says as she places a plate of pancakes in front of me. “What are you two going to be up to today?”

            “Jake and I are going to pick up a few things and then head out tonight so we don’t have to leave too early in the morning.”

            “Alright, just don’t you dare leave without saying goodbye.”

            I smile up to her. I’m defiantly going to miss living here.

X         X         X         X         X         X         X         X         X         X         X            X        

            “Jake, slow down. Please!” Nothing. The speedometer continues to climb. “Jake, this is way too fast!”

            “Calm down. I’m only doing eighty.”

            “Only? The speed limits sixty-five.”

            “Hun, this is Massachusetts. No one does speed limit. Besides, I’m enjoying your car. Mine is a piece of crap but yours is… is…wow.”

            Grumbling, I sit back and try not to look at the speedometer but if I look outside, I see the trees as we zip by them. “Jake, there is no rush. Besides this is the last alone time we’ll have for a while. Don’t you want it to last a little longer?”

            Jake shifted to the right and exited the highway and thankfully slowed down, big time.

            “I think we’ll take back roads the rest of the way.”                              

X         X         X         X         X         X         X         X

            “I love you, Jake. Remember that okay?”

            “I love you, too. I’ll be back to pick you up for the holidays. Bye.” He gave me a quick kiss on the cheek and walked back to the car. As he drives away, I can’t help but think that maybe this whole thing isn’t such a bad idea.

            “Are you lost?” Spinning around, I find a woman, about twenty, behind me.

            “No?” Oops. I hadn’t meant for that to be a question. But I still checked my housing assignment. Yup same building that is on the paper is the building in front of me. “I’m pretty sure I’m in the right place.”

            “Oh, well can I help you find the person you are looking for?”

            “I’m not looking for anyone. Just my room.”

            “Wait, you’re a student here?”

            I merely nodded. Does she not believe me? Why would I lie?

            “But you’re just a kid. What are you sixteen?” She looks me over like I’m a piece of trash.

            “Yeah I am sixteen. And I bet I’m already smarter than you.”

            “You are a little-”

            “Rose, stop insulting people.” The girl she had just called Rose glared at me and then walked away from us. I turn to my left and another person is standing beside me. She extends her hand to me. “Hi, I’m Amelia. I’m sorry about Rose. How are you Rikki?”

            “How do you know my name?”

            “It’s on the folder.” Sure enough, I flip the folder over and there my name is. “Oh.”

            “Are you really sixteen?”

            “Yeah. Why does it seem like everyone thinks I’m lying about that??”

            “It’s just different that’s all. Anyway, if you need any help just ask.” With that she walked away but shortly stopped and turned around. “Oh, and good luck.”     

************************************************************************

Sorry it took a while to upload, but we just got new kittens and caring for them has been put higher up then writing. And the only reason this was written was because me being a klutz, I sprained my ankle on the way to the bus stop this morning and didn’t go to school. Anyway…There are only two more chapters left. Hopefully, I will have them done by October 8th but it could be earlier or later depending on how much teachers throw at us in school. The song on the side is We Owned the Night from Lady Antebellum. It has nothing to do with the chapter, I just have been obsessed with it lately. As always, thank you so much for reading!

            -Siobhan