Chapter 3: Well, This Stinks!

            The late August sun woke me early in the morning. I rolled over and hit a body. Wait, what? Why is there someone in my bed?!

            Oh! Ha. It’s just Elle. I can be such a blonde! {A/N No offense to any blondies!} I slowly climbed out of the bed and quickly looked for my glasses. Our eye site was about the only thing Elle and I didn’t share. I got the crappy eye site even though I always ate my stupid little carrots! And Elle who hates carrots, well, she has perfect 20/20 vision.

            I finally found them and walked down the hall to the bathroom. I was putting in my contacts, when the door swung open. My lovely aunt was standing in the doorway. (I do love my sarcasm.) She glanced at me and mumbles something about not being able to tell us apart.

            I’m guessing the “us” was Elle and me. She walked away without actually saying a word to me. I heard her go downstairs. She was probably making some coffee. I still only had my right contact in when Elle came waltzing in.

            I really hate that she has the perfect vision. Actually, no I don’t really care that she has good vision. It’s that we both don’t have the same vision. But I guess it’s a fair trade off. She gets the perfect vision and I get the eidetic memory. Whatever.

            “Rikki, can you pass me the toothpaste?”

            “Here you go.”

            We didn’t say anything else as we went through our morning rituals. When I went down stairs, I noticed that Ms. Baker wasn’t around. Normally, she was around until 7:30. I glanced over at the clock to see it was already almost 8.

            “Elle, shouldn’t you be going to school soon?” She looked at me like she was hurt and I realized it had sounded like I was kicking her out. “I mean, won’t other people being showing up soon?”

            “Yeah, I guess your right. So, this is goodbye?”

            “No. It’s not goodbye. You’ll be coming back to visit. So, this is a see you later.”

            “You do always like to put a positive spin on things. I’m glad that these last few months haven’t changed that.”

            We walked to the door and I watched her walk out knowing I couldn’t. I wasn’t supposed to be seen. I still need to figure out why. I was being all creepy and watched my sister walk over to the school as the first few cars drove in. My school didn’t start for another couple days so I went out to the barn to kill time.

            Trigger seemed so happy to see me. I gave him his breakfast and went up to the hay loft. I like to come up here and think. I’ve even stashed a few books up here. I grabbed one and started reading. This had been my normal morning routine since I had gotten here.

            I would feed Trigger. Then read for an hour or so while he was eating. I would take him out for a little while. I would read again. Then clean the barn and my tack {a/n it’s the equipment ex. saddle} I would give Trigger his dinner and then go get my own. I did this basically ever day. And I loved it this way. Especially since when I started school I can't do it this anymore.

            But it was more fun and time consuming when I had the option of doing anything I wanted. Now, I couldn’t leave. I couldn’t be seen by any of the students or staff. I got bored with my book after only 20 minutes. I climbed back down to the ground and turned on the radio.