Chapter 6

As soon as we the bell rang, signaling the end of school, I ran over to the tree outside of the playground.

"Dark? Where are you?" I called.

A flat shadowy version of Dark appeared from the tree's shadow. "Here, Jason."

I smiled down at him, "How do you do that?"

He tilted his head, "It's hard to explain. I just...let the coolness of the shadow wash over me."

"Well, it's really cool!" I said, "Hey, can you hide in my shadow?"

"Come closer."

I took a step closer so my shadow was right next to him. He then simply jumped over and disappeared into my shadow.

"Easy." I heard him say. I couldn't see him, but it sounded as if he was standing shoulder to shoulder with me. "Now, I can walk you home without being seen."

I smiled and started walking, "So cool! How are you able to do this?"

Dark was quiet for a few seconds before answering, "Well, I was...designed...to do so. As well as...other things..." He mumbled that last part.

"What do you mean 'designed'?" I asked.

Dark sighed, "I do not wish to talk about it right now."

"Are you okay?"

"Yes, yes, I'm fine. Just...exhausted."

I started getting concerned. "Oh, well maybe we could talk more tonight. I don't have school tomorrow so I could stay out later." I suggested, "I'll bring some snacks and drinks."

"That's sounds good." Dark replied.

The rest of the walk was spent in silence.

Soon, we made it to our usual spot in the woods. "Okay, Dark. You can come out now."

I watched in awe as Dark slowly manifested from my shadow. In a few seconds, he was standing in front of me.

"So cool!" I repeated myself.

Dark gave me a slight smile and moved to lean against the tree. When he lifted his leg, he hissed in pain and quickly sat down.

I rushed to his side, "Dark!"

"I'm fine, I'm fine." He waved me off, "I just strained my legs when running earlier." He leaned back against the trunk of the tree, "I just need to rest a while."

"You sure you're okay?" I asked, "I could always-"

"I'm fine, Jason." he interupted, "You don't need to worry about me. Though I do appreciate the offer."

"Okay." I said reluctantly, "I guess I'll leave you to rest."

Dark smiled softly at me, "I'll see you tonight, Jason. Don't forget to bring those...what did you call them?"

I smiled back at him, "Peanut butter crackers?"

His smile widened, "Yes, those!"

"Sure thing!" I turned and walked back to the house.

*****************************************************************
Sorry this chapter is so short! I promise the next one will be longer! Also, it will probably be in Dark's p.o.v.
Until then, please Comment, Vote, and Share!