Epilogue

{over 6 years later}

"Jason, when are you coming home?"

"I just got off of work, Mom," I replied with a sigh, "I'm pretty worn out from all the adoptions, so I'm walking my bike for a little while."

"Okay," she mumbled, "I'll have dinner ready when you get here."

"Thanks, Mom," I smiled even though she couldn't see it through the phone.

"Oh, one more thing! Mrs. Harrison called saying she wanted to buy one of your paintings."

I groaned, "Ugh, I keep telling her that The Guardian isn't for sale!"

She laughed, "She knows that now, she called about a different one. I think it was the one with the wheat feild?"

"Oh, The Golden Night?" I asked.

"Yes, that one!"

"Okay, I'll get back to her tomorrow. I'll see you at home, love you."

"Love you too."

Click.

I sighed, shoving my phone back in my pocket and continued to walk with my bike. Working after school at the pet store was exhausting, but I need the money. That's why I'm also selling some of my paintings.

A few years ago, my therapist suggested that I start drawing and painting to help express emotions so I could move on. It actually helped a little, and I discovered my love and talent for painting.

I mainly paint things and people that I've seen, either painting from memory or from pictures. The one that I'm going to sell to Mrs. Harrison I painted from the memory of the field that I ran through with Dark.

I'm not going to sell her The Guardian though. The Guardian is, in my opinion, my best portrait of Dark. It depicts Dark sitting on the ground against a tree, just how I would find him so many times when he was resting.

Dark is the model for a lot of my sketches, as are my birth parents, so I don't forget what they looked like...

It's crazy to think about, but I'll be graduating in just 2 months! I applied and was accepted to a local university that has an amazing art program. I'll really be able to excel there.

I'm going to have to work part time though if I'm going to achieve my dream. I've been saving money for years now!

Once I get out of college, I'm going to build a house of my own out in the woods in the valley of the mountains. I want to stay close, so maybe it will be easier for Dark to find me again. I've never given up on him, and I never will. He said that he would come back, so he's going to come back!

As I walked home, I looked up at the sky. The sun was almost set completely, the dark blue night slowly taking over the sky, but a sliver of the sun was still visible. It burned bright orange and red, like fire...

I shook myself to clear my head of the visions. Those memories still haunt me, HE still haunts me.

The police questioned me about what happened, and I told them as much as I could without telling them about Dark. Steros was charged with kidnapping and attempted murder, but he was never caught. Nobody has seen him since the fire, but apparently the fire took many victims, so he was counted amoung them.

I know that's not true though. I remember seeing him stumbling out of the building, I remember those eyes...

I tried painting him once. I thought it might help me get rid of him...but I burned the canvas before it was even finished. I don't think I'll ever get rid of those nightmares.

I stopped walking and stared down at my feet, gripping the handle bars of my bike in my fists.

Why? Just...why?

I blinked back angry tears, taking a deep breath, and exhaling.

It's okay...I'm okay...

As I calmed myself, I suddenly felt something. It was something I hadn't felt in years...

I whirled around, looking all around me for the source. The street was empty, the houses were quiet, but I wasn't alone.

Movement caught my eye and I stared at the side of one of the houses. The shadow of the house next to it fell on half of the white wall. I stood frozen, watching and waiting.

A black shadow swiftly jumped across the roof and disappeared into the growing shadows! I jumped onto my bike and pumped my legs as fast as I could in pursuit!

I sped across streets and through backyards, following the shadow that would disappear and reappear periodically. I thought of nothing else but catching up to it.

Suddenly, the light became scattered, and I noticed that it had led me into a forest with no path. It became more difficult to follow the shadow with limited light and trying to keep balance on the uneven forest floor.

My front tire got caught on something, and I was flung off the bike! I caught myself, scraping my knees and hands on rocks and sticks. I hissed in pain as I looked down at my shaking hands, blood already dotting my skin.

I pushed myself up onto my feet and leaned against the closest tree. A cold wind suddenly blew past me, followed by the shadow.

"Hey! Wait!" I shouted as I ran after it, abandoning my bike.

I swerved around trees and pushed past bushes, desperetly trying to keep up with it. I stumbled into a small clearing, "STOP!"

Ahead of me, on the other side of the clearing, stood a black dog-like creature with a long black tail swinging back and forth in the air. It's glowing white eyes stared into my wide blue ones. I stood completely still, afraid that if I moved it would disappear into the shadows.

"P-Please," I asked, "where is...Where is your...alpha? Is he here?"

The shadow dog didn't move.

"Could you lead me to him? Is that why you're here? To lead me to Dark?"

The dog blinked, and with another swish of its tail, it was gone.

"NO! Come back," I yelled, "COME BACK!"

I tried to run after it, but I couldn't find it anymore. I dropped to my knees, exhausted, hanging my head in defeat. I ran my hands through my hair, tears streaming down my face.

That was my one chance of seeing Dark again. My first and only chance in so long! How could I let it slip away?

I curled into myself, my sobs echoing in the otherwise soundless forest. One hand was tangled in my hair, the other was wrapped around myself in a feeble attempt of self-comfort.

The memories were too painful, bursting with conflicting emotions. All the frustration, all the sadness, the loneliness from over the years came swelling back up with full force. In between my sobs, I screamed at the world for everything and everyone I had failed.

My throat became so sore that I could barely speak. My sobs quieted, but still I kneeled on the forest floor.

A cold breeze swirled around me, making me shiver. I felt a slight weight on my back, invisible arms seemed to wrap around me. I gasped, tears streaming but smile widening.

"We're safe now, my little human..."