Chapter 21

Dark held me close as I sat in his lap in front of the small fire. I stared drowsily at the fire as I felt Dark's chest rise and fall in a steady rythm. He fell asleep soon after we ate. I'm really worried about him. He keeps insisting that he'll be fine, and I do see that his wounds are improving greatly, but…

He spends a lot of time in my shadow during the day. I guess it must be comfortable. I sighed and snuggled deeper into my jacket. I really wish I had my backpack with all of my spare clothes, and my snacks. I wonder if anyone found it.

I moved my gaze from the fire to up at the night sky. I had never seen so many stars! I tried to look for the few constalations that I know, but soon gave up. I sighed again in wonder and awe.

Again, my eyes wandered around the area until I was looking up at Dark's face. With his glowing white eyes closed, he almost blended in completly to the smooth shadowed rock he was leaning on. The dim light from the shrinking fire barely illuminated him.

I smiled drowsily and closed my eyes, letting sleep envelop me.

…..….Hm?

Wha-….What's that sound?

I blinked open my eyes just as a strong gust of wind blew out the embers of the small firepit. Suddenly, Dark jolted awake and gripped onto me! I yelped in surprise as his claws poked my sides.

Dark's eyes were wide as he looked in the direction the wind had come from. "What's wrong, Da-" He put his hand over my mouth to cut me off.

"Shh," He shushed as he looked into the distance, "do you hear that, Jason?"

I pushed his hand away. "Hear what?" I whispered back.

Then, another gust of wind picked up, blowing my hood off. "That!" Dark hissed.

"The wind?"

Dark grew agitated, "No, what is being carried with the wind!"

I listened closely as the wind continued, and I heard what sounded like a distant howl. A chill went up my spine as the eerie howl seemed to circle around us.

"Wolves?" I asked shakingly, but I had a feeling I knew what it actually was.

Suddenly, Dark scooped me up and jumped to his feet! He started running faster than I've ever seen him run before! I clutched onto Dark as he jumped from boulder to boulder, terrified for my life.

Dark began mumbling to himself, "They found us....God, they found us...More shadow dogs coming...that damn howl."

"Dark, calm down!" I tried to reassure him, but I was panicing myself.

He pushed himself further until we reached the edge of the forest. I stared out into the golden field that Dark had been talking about, the tall stalks swaying in the night air.

Dark hesitated, then jumped down into the feild. Grunting as he landed, he stumbled a few steps foreward. His grip on me loosened and I tumbled to the ground.

"Sorry," Dark apologized and helped me stand up.

His head and shoulders stuck out above the stalks, while I was completly hidden. The howling grew louder and Dark was about to pick me up again, but I stopped him.

"Wait, get in my shadow! I'll run for a while, I'll be less likely to be detected."

Dark looked back in the direction we had come and reluctently disappeared, but I could feel his presence all around me. "Hurry, Jason." he whispered, "they are catching up!"

I nodded and started running, pushing myself through the stalks. I zigzagged through the field, not knowing where I was going. As I ran, I could feel Dark leaning on me, but it was different than last time. Somehow, it felt as though he was running with me, that he was a part of me.

I felt….powerful. For the first time in my life, I actually felt like I could do something, that I was big and strong! Not some weak little kid.

If only I had known what was going to happen next because of it.       

************************************************************************
DUN DUN DUUUUNNN!!!
Mwahahaha! I am so evil!
You like that awesome cliffhanger, guys? Cause I do!
I may not be able to write more over break, but I'll try my best to. Love you all! And happy holidays!