Chapter 18

I rubbed the two sticks together as fast as I could against the log, but no spark. I threw the sticks down in frustration, and walked away from the little fire pit that I built. My hands were starting to feel numb from being exposed to the cold. I cupped my hands around my mouth and blew my warm breath into them to try to warm them up. I looked up and saw that the sun was setting, coloring the sky a beautiful yellow-orange.

"When's Dark going to come back?" I mumbled to myself.

I walked over to the makeshift bed I was also working on. It was really just a bunch of soft leaves, dried moss, and springy grass against a smooth tree trunk. It was away from the fire pit, but not so far that we wouldn't feel the warmth if we ever got it going.

I added some more soft springy grass and curled up against the trunk. My red hood pulled up and my hands in my coat pockets, I tried to ignore my growling stomach.

I must have dozed off, because I woke up to a great gust of wind that blew past me! All the leaves around me were caught in the whilrwind and almost buried me!

I stumbled onto my feet and brushed all the leaves off of me. I heard wheezing and look up to see Dark practically collapsed on the ground, breathing heavily.

"Dark!" I exclaimed and ran to his side.

I kneeled next to him, one hand on his back, and checked him over for any new wounds. "Dark, what happened? Are you okay? Why were you running so fast? Were you being followed? Are you in pain? Where does it hurt?" I rambled on and on, as Dark slowly moved to sit upright.

He gave me a tired smile, and opened up his hand to reveal three good sized fish that seemed to have been pierced by his claws. "I...I got you some...fish from way down the river." He said inbetween breaths.

I let out the breath I had been holding and wrapped my arms around him, burying my face in his chest. "I was so worried about you." I sighed.

Dark hugged me back with his free hand then pulled away. "So, I see you couldn't get the fire going." he changed the subject as he spotted the pile of sticks and branches.

"Yeah, I had made a bed though, but you blew it away by running so fast." I replied with a teasing smile.

He gave me an apologetic look and rubbed the back of his neck, "Heh, sorry about that. Let's see if I can get it going."

Dark placed the fish on a flat rock nereby and I handed him one of the bigger sticks. I started to instruct him on how to hold it, "Then you just have to rub it really fast against the log to create friction and make a spark."

"Like this?"

"Yeah, but faster."

He begun to rub the stick even faster, and in no time at all, smoke started to appear under the base of the stick. Then, a spark was ignited! I quickly told him to stop and started to gently blow on the tiny flame until it engulfed the smaller sticks. We piled more branches onto the fire and we soon had a big enough fire to cook the fish!

Dark skewered two fish onto one stick and the other onto another stick and gave that one to me. As we waited by the fire, Dark told me about the sights he ran past as he followed the river down to where he caught the fish.

"I stood on top of a big pile of rocks and saw a great big golden field! We should definetly head in that direction tomorrow. You would love it!" He beamed, waving the stick around for emphasis.

I smiled up at him, "It does sound really cool, but you should take it easy. You exhausted yourself by running so far."

Dark sighed, but the smile never left his face, "Okay, we'll just walk. It should only take a day or two."

My eyes widened, "You ran a day's journey away?!"

A light blush formed on his face as he glanced at the fire, "I guess, I've run much further though. Yesterday, I ran what would at least a week to walk."

"Dark," I sighed worriedly, "you're going to run yourself to death! You fought off guards, battled those big black creatures-"

"Shadow dogs."

"What?"

"They are called shadow dogs." He clarified.

"You battled those shadow dogs, and ran through the night and most of today." I stared at the fire as it burned up another branch, "I don't like seeing you in so much pain."

I struggled to find the right words, "Why...Why do you put yourself through so much, for my sake. I mean...you're my best friend and...and..."

I sniffed as I blinked back tears.

"Jason..."

I felt Dark's large hand on my back and I looked up at him. He tilted his head and his glowing white eyes stared back at me. "Jason," he said, "do you remember what we talked about last night before you fell asleep?"

"A little..." I replied quietly.

"Well, I remember," he stated, "you asked if I would always be here for you, and I told you that I would as long as I am alive. What was your response going to be to that?"

Then, I remembered. "That that means you are my family."

"Family." Dark smiled, "Then that means I am your guardian, and a guardain cares for and protects their little human."

Tears blurred my vision again as Dark pulled me closer to his side.

By this time, the fish were done and we began to dig in. I was a little wary at first, not used to eating food that is looking at me. Dark pulled the good pieces off of the fish for me to eat. Then, I was both disgusted and amazed at how Dark basically ate the fish whole! We shared a laugh as we shared the last fish.

After a quick bathroom break, I sat back down next to the warm fire. Suddenly, Dark grabbed my sides and tossed me in the air! He caught me and twirled me around just like we used to. Laughter filled the cold night air.

Finally, we settled down in the rebuilt bed and watched as the fire slowly died down. It was getting even colder and I wanted to keep the fire going, but Dark said that we had to let it die. He held me close to keep warm, seeningly unfased by the cold. As I layed against his chest, I could feel every breath he took, and it helped me to calm down. As sleep slowly made its way, my thoughts began to backtrack.

I alrady knew everything Dark told me, but I guess I need to be reminded what family does for each other. Mom? Dad? Would you have liked Dark? I'm sure you would have. He reminds me a lot of both of you. He listens to my problems and makes me feel safe in his embrace, just like you, Mom. Dark can make me laugh and plays with me, but is also very serious. A lot like you were, Dad.

Yeah, you guys would have loved him as much as I do.

******************************************************************
Hey, it's been a while. Sorry, I've just been really busy lately.
I hope you guys liked it! I really tried to bring the whole family bond thing home. Did I do a good job?
Please Comment, Vote, and Share!