Chapter 17

I don't know why I broke down like that. When I noticed that Jason was looking at me, everything that I put him through and everything that Steros would have done to him just came rushing through my mind.

I saw horrible visions of the little human all alone and in pain in that cursed white room. I imagined his life slowly seeping away, his cold body going limp at the hands of that horrible man.

When I realized I had started crying, I grabbed Jason and wrapped my arms around him so hopefully he wouldn't see. I couldn't help it though, I held back my sobs as best I could but it wouldn't stop. The thought of losing Jason to Steros...I wouldn't have been able to live with myself.

I know what Steros will do to him if he catches us. Everytime I tried and failed to escape in my younger days, he would stand there and watch with those cold unforgiving eyes as I went through living hell.

I clutched onto Jason and surrounded myself in his scent, trying to push the memories away. I tried to reassure myself by thinking of the present. We are not in the room, we are in the mountains. Jason is here, he's okay. I repeated this in my head over again to calm myself down.

Even after all my tears had dried, I still didn't move, unwilling to let go. All the while, Jason just hugged me back.

After a while, I felt a small tug on my hair. Jason was messing around with my hair.  I didn't really mind, and the simple strokes were soothing. I sighed as my grip on him loosened.

"Feeling better, Dark?" Jason asked as he continued playing with my hair.

A small smile found its way onto my lips. "Yeah a little," I replied quietly as I breathed in his scent again.

I closed my eyes again, finally feeling more relaxed as Jason's little fingers worked to untangle my hair. It was quiet on the mountain, and if I listened for long enough I could hear the rythmic beating of Jason's heart. 

Then, I heard a loud grumble or gurgle. Jason stopped playing with my hair, and I smiled again as the sound continued. I lifted Jason off of me and placed him in front of me. "I guess you're hungry?" I asked.

Jason blushed and glanced away, "Yeah, I guess I havn't really eaten since yesterday or the day before."

I felt a flash of anger but pushed it aside and instead focused back on Jason. "Well, let's find something to eat, okay? There might be some berries left or maybe I could catch a fish."

"You sure you're up for that?" he asked, a worried look on his face.

"If we work together we can do it." I replied.

Jason brightened up when he heard I needed his help. "Yeah! I could collect some wood so we could build a campfire! I know a lot of good survival tips that my dad taught me when he took me out camping a few times when I was little!"

I gave a little chuckle and ruffled his hair, "You're still little!" 

He started laughing as well, "No, you're just super tall!"

The heavy atomosphere was completely eraditcated at that point. It was good to hear him laugh again. It feels as though it's been a lifetime since those days of just sitting and talking about anything.

"Well," I slowly pushed myself up onto my feet, "we better get started if we want to eat before nightfall."

Jason hopped up as well, looking eager to get started. "Okay! I'll go start looking that way!"

He pointed towards an area with thinner trees and small bushes. "Alright, but don't go too far." I warned.

He nodded then jogged further into the forest. I watched him for a little while before heading upstream to look for signs of prey.

As I walked, my mind wandered back to my earlier thoughts, those of the days where Jason and I were both smiling and laughing all the time. Come to think of it, I just realized that I've only known Jason for about 2 or maybe 3 weeks! It amazes me how in such a short amount of time, we have come to feel as though we have known each other for years!

I stop for a moment and think about this. He was able to see through my scary exterior and see that I am really alive and have feelings, something that no human has ever bothered to do. In return, I have helped Jason by letting him open up to me, even if I don't fully understand what he talks about sometimes. I have vowed to protect him with my life becuase we are friends, maybe even more than that.

I guess I really do owe Steros. Maybe not for creating me, but for giving Jason a friend, a small "family" bond of sorts.

I snapped back to reality and realized I was standing almost knee deep in the river. I sighed and quickly got out of the river.

"Dark!" I heard Jason call.

I melted into the shadows and rushed towards the sound of his voice. I reappeared behind him, "What is it?"

Jason jumped and dropped some of the sticks he was carrying. He whirled around and looked up at me, "Geez, Dark, don't sneak up on me like that!"

"I'm sorry," I apologized as I helped him pick up the sticks, "I heard you call and thought something happened."

"I just needed your help with this." He pointed to several big branches lying in a pile, "You think you could carry them?"

I let out a breath of relief and smiled down at Jason, "Of course."

I picked up branches, which were not heavy at all, and followed Jason back to the river. As we placed them in a semi-neat pile, Jason asked, "So, did you find anything to eat?"

I glanced away realizing I spent all my time in my own thoughts. "Well, no," I replied, "but I'll find something!"

I stepped back from the pile so I stood in the shadows of the trees. "Where are you going, Dark?" Jason asked.

"You stay here and work on the fire. Do not leave this area!" I informed, "I'll be back soon. If you need me, just shout and I'll come running back."

"O-okay." Jason replied, sounding a little unsure.

I gave him a reassuring smile before I merged with the shadows. Then, feeling the still cold around me, I leaped from shadow to shadow. I was yards away in the blink of an eye. Before I left, I had heard Jason's stomach growling in hunger. I know he can't last as long as I can without food. As I ran, I looked up in the sky and noticed that the sun would start to set soon. So, keeping my senses alert, I began despretly searching for anything that could feed the little human.    

 ************************************************************* 
Hey, I hope this was worth the little bit of the wait. I'm working on 2 stories in between all my school work and other activites, so yeah.
This is a more feely chapter that I really like writing! I love getting into a character's mind and learning more about what makes them tick and who they are!
Get ready for more feels on the way! Please Comment, Vote, and Share to let me know you like it so far!