Chapter 31

"JASON!" I called, as the pulse shattered the glass.

When it hit me, a sudden surge of power flowed into me! As everything else was destroyed, I remained standing.

My chains broke and I ran to Jason. I pushed the table away from him and laid him on his back. My hands shook as I brushed the hair from his pale face. The blackness was gone, but I sensed...power from him.

Suddenly, wires that had become exposed sparked and ignited! I scooped Jason into my arms and bolted out of the room, not giving a second glance to the man slumped against the wall.

The fire spread quickly, but I was faster. I raced through the halls, past guards who were unknowingly throwing themselves into the fire. I stopped when my ears picked up the sound of muffled howls.

I sighed, knowing I couldn't leave them. I turned back and raced to the holding cells of the shadow dogs.

The howls grew louder and I knew I was getting closer. I followed the howls, the smell of smoke filling my nose as I pushed myself to go faster. I was surprised to find that the door was open as I entered a hallway with glass cells on both sides.

When I came into view, their howls ceased. I was surprised to find that their gaze was trained not only on me, but on Jason too. They must have sensed the pulse, the shift of power...

I gently laid Jason down and walked over to the first cage. I took a deep breath and rammed my body against the glass! Cracks spread, and with another hit, it shattered. The shadow dog looked from me to the glass shards on the floor. I sighed and grabbed it's collar. It growled at my sudden movement, but stopped when it realized that I was now holding the broken collar in my hands.

To my surprise, it then ran over to the next cage and started ramming itself against it until it shattered. A small smile crept its way onto my face as I tore the collars off of each shadow dog as it was freed.

Once all seven shadow dogs were freed, we raced through the building, the hallways hazed with smoke. I ran at the head of the pack, clutching Jason to my chest. He had started coughing when I realized that he still had the small collar on. Sneering at the name engraved on it, I carefully took it off of him, but he was still coughing. My concern for the little human grew with every struggled breath.

As we ran though, I heard a quiet plea for help. Another howl, not fully formed, but still powerful.

"Diana..." I breathed.

I had to do something, but Jason needed to get out of here.

I slowed to a halt and turned around to the lead shadow dog. Bending down, I held Jason out to it. The shadow dog looked down at him then back at me.

"Go," I ordered, "Keep safe."

It bowed it's head, understanding the stern undertone of my voice. I laid him on its back, and watched as it ran past me, flanked closely by two other shadow dogs.

Once they were out of sight, I raced towards the feeble voice. I stopped short when a wall of fire blocked my path. I sheilded my face from the intense heat and light. From the other side of the fire, I heard her cry.

Immediatly, I leaped through the fire, hissing as it burned my skin. Through the smoke, I could barely make out the large box prison. I continued to sheild my face as I carefully made my way to it.

When I looked up, I was shocked to see softly glowing eyes staring back at me. Her face was almost as black as the smoke, long black hair-like wisps floated around her like a halo.

I froze, I was face to face with another who was just like me. Foggy memories resurfaced, the lonely days and nights in my own cage, my earliest memories were of pain and fear. I saw my past self in those soft eyes.

"Your core," I said, "if I break the barrier and you're exposed to this fire directly..."

My hands were shaking...I had already begun to mourn someone I didn't even know.

She didn't say a word, I don't know if she could even speak. Instead, she placed a hand against the glass that separated us, and I understood. I clenched my fists, biting back the tears that threatened emerge, and slammed against the glass with all my strength.

As the glittering shards cascaded, I thought I caught a glimpse of a smile, a silent thank you, before she disappeared. I stood there alone, looking down at my bloodied hands, my own blood...

I took another breath, breathing in the smoke, before I ran to escape the enclosing fire.

*******************************************************************************************
Wow, I'm just on a roll now, aren't I? Probably because I've had the ending planned since the beginning :3
I'm just loving this so much! Everything is finally coming together! I'm happy and sad that it's ending though.
Anyways, please Comment, Vote, and Share to let me know you like the story.