Chapter 7

I woke to the sound of crunching leaves. I opened my eyes to see that the sun had set not long ago and the forest was enshrouded with shadows. The source of the cruching leaves was Jason walking down the path. I couldn't see him yet, but I could hear him coming and I had about a minute before he would arrive.

I ran a hand through my dark blue hair and sighed. How was I going to explain what I am to him? Should I tell the truth or lie to him? He is just a little human. Would he run away if he knew the purpose I was created for?

I shook my head.

No, he wouldn't run. He knows I would never harm him. Maybe...maybe he forgot about it!

Jason came into view. "Hey, Dark," he called, "I got the snacks!"

"Great!" I replied and scooted over so Jason could sit next to me.

He took off his backpack and flopped down next to me. He pulled out 2 water bottles and a 2 packs of peanut butter crackers. He handed me one of each and I gladly took it.

"So, Dark, what did you mean by 'designed'?"

I froze, about to toss one of the crackers in my mouth. I sighed and put the cracker back down. "He didn't forget." I mumbled.

"Uh, if you really don't want to talk about it-"

"No, no. You've told me your story, but I havn't told you much of mine." I looked down at him with a small smile on my face, "You're my friend and you know that I would never harm you."

Jason looked up at me, confused by my words. "You're not just a friend," he said, "you're my best friend, Dark! Why would you think that I would think you're dangerous?"

I sighed and looked up at the few stars that had just appeared. "Because of the purpose I was created for."

Jason nudged me to get my attention. I looked down to see him holding out a peanut butter cracker. I gave him a grateful smile and tossed it in my mouth. Once I finished, I started my story.

"There is a top secret labratory deep in a forest, a few nights run from here. It's run by a cruel man named Darren Steros. He organized a group of scientists to help him create a great destructive power to be controled. He is the one who came up with the idea of using dark energy to create a living shadow."

I glanced at Jason and saw that he was completely engrossed in my tale. 

"After years of trial and error, they finally created life. The first living shadow." I looked down at my hands, "A...Frankenstien, of sorts." I clenched my fists, "At least, that's what I heard some of the scientists call me."

"That's what you are?" Jason asked, "A shadow?"

"Well, it's hard to explain." I replied, "True, I have power over shadows and can become one, but I also have human DNA. I hunger, I thrist, I think, I bleed. I am much like humans, but they couldn't see that. My creators, all they see is a weapon!"

I slammed a fist down as my mind wandered to the painful tests of my early years. "They wanted an obidient weapon, forced me into submission! They gave me these claws to kill!"

"Dark."

"What!"

Jason placed a hand on my arm, "Calm down."

I looked into his eyes. I could see that he was afraid, but also concerned. I sighed and closed my eyes, letting some of the tension in my muscles disappear. "Thank you, Jason."

Jason nodded and scooted closer to me.

I was grateful for the comfort and sighed. "Years went by, they trained me and I grew stronger. They tried to replicate the 'miracle' of my life, but with all thier expiraments they had few minor successes. They wanted to replicate me so they would have an army of living shadows, so as soon I was strong enough I broke out."

I looked down at Jason, "And that's when you found me."

He grinned up at me, still holding onto my arm. "So both our stories end up happily!"

I smiled back, "I guess you're right." I reached over him and grabbed some more peanut butter crackers, "Now, let's eat!"

Jason laughed as I stuffed a small handful of crackers in my mouth. And that's how the rest of the night was spent, eating and laughing. It was probably the most fun I had ever had!

I had carried Jason on my back on the way to his house, both of us laughing the whole way. I watched as he waved goodbye and went inside. I turned back to the forest and walked off the path and deeper in the woods.

Suddenly, a cold breeze blew past me and I froze. My ears picked up the sound of a distant howl, but this wasn't the howl of a wolf. No, this howl was like the blow of a brutal winter storm.

It was the howl of the shadow dogs.

***********************************************************************
Oh my god! That took so much out of me, and I am so proud of this chapter!
I can't wait to write the next one! In the mean time, please Comment, Vote, and Share!