Chapter 30

I watched their every movement, every breath, every pulse across the moniter.

How, I wondered, how are they connected? How is it even possible? It seems as though Jason has some of his abilities, or is it that Dark is somehow able to be in two places at once? The piece with Jason is not sentient, but it apparently reacts to strong emotions like anger and extreme fear. I need to see it for myself, but nothing is working.

It's currently 2:37 A.M., most of my employees have gone home. Of course security is still around, but I am the only one in the room. If I'm going to do this, I have to do it now.

I open the door to Jason's side and walk into the dimly lit room. Straight ahead of me, curled up on the floor, lies the sleeping boy. The hairs on the back of my neck stand on end, and I glance behind me. Flaming white eyes stare back at me, eyes filled with hatred, daring me to make a move. I refuse to think of the similarities...

Instead, I turn back and exit the room. I gather my tools and a small sample of the Element in liquid form and a sample of Dark's blood. I put everything onto the metal table and wheel it towards the door, grabbing the collar activator on the way.

Once I enter the room once more, I hear a low growl come from the other room, but I don't acknowledge it. I leave the table in the middle of the room and walk to the sleeping boy.

"Jason," I nudged him with my foot.

He whimpers and curls in on himself.

Clenching my teeth, I press the button. I watch as his body twitches, his blue eyes wide and his breathing rapid.

"Get up," I ordered.

He didn't move.

"I said, get up!" I roughly grabbed him by the shirt and hauled him to his feet.

I could feel him shaking in my grasp, his wide eyes stared up into mine in complete terror. I had to remind myself why I was doing this.

Dragging him over to the table, I ignored the growling threats from the other side of the glass. Moving the tools to the floor, I put Jason on top of the table, ordering him to lay down.

"What are you going to do to me, Steros?" Jason asked.

I glanced at him and was surprised to find the same fire. I blinked and shook my head, dismissing the question. Placing my hands on his chest, I pushed him down onto the table. I took the thick leather straps and tightened them around his wrists, ignoring his protests.

Then, he started calling for Dark, and he responded. The sound of pulling chains echoed through the room, his roars ringing in my ears. I kept my hands busy and my eyes focused.

I have to do this. I have to do this. This is the only way. Focus. Focus.

I put on the sterile gloves and protective shades. This seemed to make Jason's panic grow, and Dark's protests louder. I took the viles that held the Element and the blood and carefully mixed them. Then, I transfered the black liquid into a needle.

As I sterilized Jason's arm, his muscles grew tighter, and I knew this would hurt him. Thinking...Knowing there was no turning back now, I continued.

I pushed the needle into his arm, releasing the liquid into his bloodstream. It was silent...

For a second, it was like time had stopped. There was no movement, there was no sound. I watched as his pupils shrunk, and his mouth opened in an intake of breath. The next second was filled with the pained cries of the young boy.

Jason yanked on his restraints, crying slurred words. I stepped back, the empty needle shattered on the floor. I watched in amazement has his arm started to turn pitch black! The blackness crawled up his arm, and towards his head.

"WHAT DID YOU DO TO HIM," Dark roared, "WHAT DID YOU DO, STEROS?!"

"I...I can't believe it," I whispered, "it...it's consuming him!"

"WHAT DID YOU DO TO HIM?!"

"If this works, I won't have to make more subjects. I could just inject soldiers with the Element," I exclaimed, "This is a breakthorugh! Haha! They can't shut me down now!"

"JASON!"

I turned my attention back on Jason, and saw that the blackness had covered half his face! One eye was now a blazing white, and the other was streamed with tears.

A moment of dread crashed onto me, and I involuntarily stepped closer to him.

"S-stay away from me!" he cried, his voice warped.

His fists clenched, his restraints suddenly snapped! I lurched towards him, but at that moment...

"STaY AwAY fRoM mE!"

...a powerful pulse of energy, shot out from him!

I remember being flown back, watching as the blackness destroyed the area in slow motion, before my head hit the wall.

*************************************************************************
BOOM! How do you like me now? Two chapters in two days!
I have been agonizing over this moment for so long, wanting and waiting for this to happen! I can't believe it's finally here!
This was going to be in Jason's p.o.v., but I got the idea that it would be WAY better if it was in Steros'.
I'm really proud of this chapter :3
Hope you've been enjoying it so far, the story is almost over. As was said in the last chapter, this is the begining of the end.