Chapter 20

Since this is the 20TH CHAPTER!!! I decided to do something special. Above is a picture of Dark when he was about 2 years old (he ages faster so present day he is about 5-6 years old and has the mind of an adult, when he was 2 he had the mind of a pre-teen). Back then, he really didn't understand what they were making him do, he just wanted to be done and be able to go back to his room so he could rest and eat in safety. Hope you guys like it! It is suprisingly really hard to draw Dark. Thank you all for being there and supporting me and the story so far.

Also, this chapter is not in Dark's or Jason's p.o.v. But some other character we all know and hate. That's right! Welcome to the mind of the infamous Darren Steros! Enjoy your stay!

****************************************************************************************

I heard a knock on the door. "Come in" I stated loud enough for them to here.

A woman entered holding a pile of papers in her hand. "Sir, here are all the files you ordered on Mr. Walker and his parents."

"Good, bring them here." I ordered, not looking up from my computer.

I heard the click of her heels on the tile floor as she made her way across my office. I glanced up at her as she handed me the papers then returned to my work.

I expected her to leave, but she stayed where she was. I sighed and pushed myself away from the computer. I folded my arms on my desk in a thoughtful position and stared up at her. "Is there something else, Ms. Chao?"

She shifted nervously and glanced around, "W-well, m-my co-workers and I were w-wondering," finally she looked me in the eye, "what do you plan on doing with Mr. Walker once we find them?"

She hid her emotions well, but I could see the worry and suspicion in her eyes. I stared blankly at her a while longer before leaning back in my chair and turning away. "That is why I needed those papers. I must conclude on how to convince him to let go, a way to appeal to him."

I faced her once more and gave her a small gentle smile, "I assure you, Ms. Chao, no serious harm shall come to the boy. You can go tell your co-workers that as well."

She smiled back at me and nodded, "Thank you, Steros, sir."

I watched as she walked back out of my office, and as soon as she closed the door I sighed in exhaustion. Taking my reading glasses off, I rubbed a hand through my graying hair and down my face. So the rumors are already starting.

I pushed away from my desk and stood up. I walked to the large window on the side of the room and stared out at everything that I had built, everything I worked so hard to achieve.

Then, I looked at my reflection. What other people see is the man that I have created, my outer shell. Some say that I am cold, unforgiving, a harsh boss, a full-of-himself genius. Some of that may be true. But all I see is a man who has failed time and time again, trying to re-create a happy accident so that he can keep his little monarchy intact.

What a pitiful man that is...

I turned away from my own analyzing refelction and walked back to my desk.

But no longer! I will not allow a rebellious experiment and a mere child to destroy all my life's work!

As I sat back down at my desk and flipped through the papers Ms. Chao had given me, my mind wandered back to that meeting a few days ago.

I was surrounded by a council of idiots. "General, you can't pull my funding!" I said with emotion in my voice, "Do you know how close I am to perfecting the process?! What about our plans?"

I was seething at this point, my head pounding as my anger rose. The esteemed General Gillfrey held up his hand, "I'm sorry, Darren. It's been too long since we have seen anything from Steros Corp. Why put so much of our money into something that hasn't shown us any promising results in over 2 years?"

For a few seconds, the room was utterly silent. The rest of the council had been glancing between the two of us as we stared at each other, one in fury and the other in calm authority.

I sighed and let my anger fade to the back of my mind. When I looked at Genral Gillfrey once more, I now matched his amount of confidence. "Okay, if you want faster results." I negotiated, "give me 3 more months and I'll have something BIG ready by then."

The older gentleman raised an eyebrow at me. I gave him a sly smile and replied, "I assure you, General Gillfrey, it won't dissapoint."

He thought it over and glanced around to his fellow members. "Fine, but if it doesn't work, we'll send the research to another corporation."

I clenched my jaw, but kept my fasique cool and collected. "All in favor?"

Most of the concil raised their hand and the matter was settled.

I roughly ran a hand through my hair once more and when I brought my hand back down two silver hairs were in my hand. Great, just what I need. I'm only 37 and I have all these gray hairs due to stress!

I sighed again, I could feel my anger slowly boiling. I must not fail, I can't afford to fail! This is my life's work; I created new life, a new species! I won't let that be torn away from me. Especially not by some orphan boy off the street. I will complete the process, maybe even something more, whatever or whomever the cost may be.