20. Shot

Chapter Twenty 

Shot

Liam's POV

After the first day of doing absolutely nothing with my mate, I decided I would just make the rounds and visit with the beta to be filled in on anything that has occurred. Even though I was with Sage, taking care of her, comforting her, where I belonged, it still made me anxious to not have any connections to what was going on in my pack. I knew trouble was going to be stirred when the news of Alicia's exile and Klaus' death spread, but at the moment I had to keep my mate healthy first. She always would come first, whether she knew it or not, whether my pack knew it or not. My heart brightened at the thought that soon it wouldn't be my pack anymore. I would become a rogue and live a - sort of - normal life with my beautiful mate. I'd never have to leave her again. 

But I still couldn't decide on what I would do. Would we live as humans? Hide our identities? There were several packs in the places she dreamed to live that were accepting of human mates. Most packs were. Not all of them were arrogant dicks like mine. But that was my fault. I raised us all to believe we were better. We weren't better. We were worse. I'd like to believe there were worse packs than us, and I just hadn't come across them yet, but unfortunately, I just don't know. And that made me sick. 

When I got up, she was still sleeping, and it was the first time she slept truly soundly. I had to wake her up a couple times in the night and hold her and rock her until her body relaxed and went back to sleep. It actually made me feel good too, to have her holding onto me, to have her need me. But I gently kissed her forehead and tucked her in neatly before tiptoeing out of the room, her scent stuck to me, calming me, soothing me, making me whole. She turned me into such a sap, the little minx

 With Sage, I didn't have to be tough or ruthless or punishing. I didn't have to control things and break up fights and be angry and stressed out all the time. I didn't have to be an alpha. I could be Liam. But only when we were alone, and I had to slap on my strict face and show everyone who was in control - who had the authority.

It was hard to leave her sleeping this morning. Just because I knew I would have to come out here and fake like she didn't mean anything to me, pretend I was still the mate-less, cruel Alpha everyone thought me to be. But not for long. Once Sage was completely back to herself, we were out of here. We could even leave tonight. Niall and Tanner were packed, and I had packed a small bag for myself and Sage. It wasn't very well planned, but it could work. I just wanted to get away and have her all to myself and to not pretend anymore.  

"Sir, I thought you wanted two days alone-" my beta started, but I cut him off with a wave of my hand.

"I still do. I am only here for updates. Where is Alicia?"

My beta, Charles, stood up from where he sat in my office, bowing his head respectfully. "Alicia left late last night. Several pack members left with her, unfortunately. Those that arrived with her back in the day. Except her pet, whom we are-"

"Her pet is to be my servant. He is protected as such now," I cut him off again. "How many left?"

"Five."

I shrugged. Not too bad. If they weren't loyal to me, then they should have left. "Has everything downstairs been cleaned up? The girls sent home?"

"Yes, Alpha. Memories wiped clean, they think they just had a bad coke dream or something. All of them were taken where we found them, and all are healthy. The room downstairs is turning into a training facility, as you asked," he reported.