8. Mate

Chapter Eight

Mate

"Sage," Liam called. 

I was in the bathroom, changing into some fresh clothes after a nice shower. 

"Yes?" 

"Come here, love." 

I padded out to the bedroom, gasping when I saw that the cardboard box was gone, and in its place was a bed. A short one, angled at the end of Liam's bed, but one I could fit on. 

I gasped, bouncing excitedly. "For me?!" 

"Yes," he replied, gazing at the blankets. "The blankets are made with the finest silk, so don't go too crazy. Try it out." 

I ran over and plopped down on it, gasping when the mattress hugged me delightfully. I rolled over in it, burying my head in the pillow. 

Liam laughed lightly. "I take it you like it more than the box? Because I could always bring that back." 

I scrambled to my feet, throwing my arms around him. "Thank you." 

His fingers ran through my hair gently, his other hand rubbing through the fabric of the loose, cotton shirt I was wearing. "As long as you keep on with your good behavior, you may have the bed. But if you act out of line once, I will take it away until you can prove to me that you deserve it again. This is a reward, a privilege, pet, and I am not afraid to take it away. Am I understood?" 

"Yes, sir." 

"Yes, what?" 

I glanced up at him, nervously. "Yes, Master." 

<>

At lunch that day, Liam had me perched in his lap, his hands on my hips to hold me in place as I faced him. I rested my hands on my thighs, unsure what to do with them, until Liam threaded them around his neck, one hand pushing on me to lean against him. My head tucked into his shoulder, my eyes facing the door as he lazily traced the skin on my back. 

"Such a good pet," he murmured to me, placing a small kiss on the mark. "So quickly trained and behaved." 

This comment seared through my mind. Why had I given in so quickly? One moment I would rather be dead than be his pet and the next I was all snuggled into his chest, calling him Master? 
I nearly backed off of his thighs in retaliation, but another kiss was given to me, on the top of my head, and all the anger dripped away, making me slump further into him. 

Dammit. 

<>

"Could I trade you spots, Niall?" A voice that made me hurt quizzed. 

Both Liam and I tensed instantly, and I buried my head in his neck, hiding. "I actually would prefer if Niall stayed. And you too, Jeff," Liam claimed, holding me tighter. Jeff was some other werewolf guy on the other side of Liam, the one Alicia was probably going to ask to move next. 

"Lili, baby-"

"Don't. Leave us. But your pet can stay and keep Sage company." 

"It hurts," I whispered, mostly to myself.

Liam rubbed my back when I said that, kissing my cheek. "I know, pet." 

"Just because your little slut has a crush on you-"

"She is not a slut," Liam hissed. 

"Liam, she's human. And she has a silly  crush on you. But she could never satisfy you like I could, even though she is a filthy whore."