25. Betrayed

Chapter Twenty Five

Betrayed

Liam's POV

An hour later, Sage was asleep next to me, breathing deeply with her head resting on my chest. I sighed sadly, knowing that I'd have to go help a grumpy Niall to get back to his room. The pain medications made him grumpy - unless Sage was around, then he was back to normal. Which half annoyed me because she was mine, and half made me adore Sage for her soothing qualities. She had that aura to her that made you want to tell all your secrets to, because she was an old soul. As if I needed any reason to love her more, to be more obsessed with her as I was. 

Sage shifted slightly, making a little groaning noise. I kissed the tip of her small nose and rubbed her back, soothing her back into her deep sleep immediately. With careful movements, I slipped out from underneath her, shoving a pillow in my place. She curled up onto her side immediately, hugging the pillow for dear life. With a light chuckle, I brushed my knuckles across her warm cheek before making sure she was tucked in and heading for the door.

Just as my hand wrapped around the handle, there was a knock that resonated through the wood. I opened it straight away, making Tanner jump a little. "Is Niall ready?" I asked him.

"Uh..." He trailed off, scratching the back of his neck. There was a fine sheen of sweat on his skin, dark circles under his eyes. "Yeah."

"I hope you're not helping us move him back to his room," I told him as I quietly shut the door behind us. "You look awful. You should go to bed. Sage wouldn't let you move if she saw you now"

Tanner shrugged carelessly. "I will, I think. I'm just gonna walk with you for now though. Feel like stretching my legs," he explained. "How is Sage?"

"She's good. Still very tired. I think all of this stress is exhausting her, and she doesn't even realize it. I can't wait to get her to her home, to her old self. To get her somewhere safe."

Tanner nodded slowly, his hair falling into his face, and he didn't bother to fix it. It looked greasy and wildly unkempt. Tanner needed a long hot shower and a brush or something to tame it. "She deserves all that. Not what you've given her, no offense."

I snickered, rolling my eyes. "I know, I know. I'm not offended. It's true. But not for long. We are all going to start our new, better life soon. Hopefully tomorrow," I said wistfully, our journey to Niall's recovery room nearing an end. "And you can get some well-needed sleep. Lord knows we all need it."

"The, uh, anxiety of this big escapade is making it hard to relax, for all of us. It'll be over soon. You and Sage can go make your home where it's safe," Tanner said quietly. "Start a family, have a couple baby brats causing trouble. If your offspring are anything like you, they'll be a handful. But hopefully you'll get a good mix. We need more people like Sage in this world." 

He stopped just outside Niall's door, and I stepped straight in, seeing Niall standing, dressed and with the bed completely cleaned off, using crutches to move since he had to keep his side as immobile as possible, and also since he refused to use a wheelchair.

"So what's up?" Niall asked me curiously.

I raised an eyebrow at my best mate. "What do you mean? We're moving you out."

"No... Tanner said someone moved my stuff earlier, and you wanted me to wait here so we could talk about the game plan," he said in confusion, shifting on the crutches uneasily, a dark look dawning on his face.

My stomach suddenly felt empty and when I spun around, Tanner's face was in the door window, his eyes wide and full of remorse. The lock slid into place from the outside, and I heard metal clanking loudly against the door - some other restraint to keep Niall and I locked in.

Tanner shook his head miserably before mouthing, "I'm sorry." 

****SORRY IT IS SHORT BUT IT'S AN UPDATE AND THE NEXT UPDATE WILL HAVE THIS EXERPT IN IT ALONG WITH A REGULAR CHAPTER SO I LOVE YOU HAPPY HOLIDAYS BAIIII****

PS: I CHANGED MY USERNAME BECAUSE A FRIEND ALMOST FOUND THIS STORY SO I NEEDED TO MAKE IT A LIL HARDER FOR HER BUT I THINK I MAY HAVE BEEN TOO LATE AND IF THAT IS THE CASE HI FRIEND PLEASE STOP READING I LOVE YOU