9. Protected

Chapter Nine

Protected

*Sage's POV*

I was absolutely stuffed from dinner, Niall and I sprawled across Liam's giant bed as we groaned in pain. 

"I have never eaten so much before," I told him, my arm draped over my eyes. "I think I'm going to explode." 

Niall chuckled. "We haven't had desert yet." 

I moaned, making a gagging sound. "How can you even think of food?" I grumbled. Niall chuckled. "I'm a guy. Basically, I'm always hungry."

Rolling my eyes, I stretched out leisurely. "So is the danger hour over?" 

"No, it hasn't even started yet. Eleven thirty to twelve thirty, remember?" Niall explained. 

"Oh. Right." 

Niall and I stayed up late talking, I told him about my life and he told me of his. I liked hearing stories about things he and Liam had done, realizing that they were best friends. Brothers, like Niall said. 

"Your friends sound mean," Niall commented when I told him about the exchange with the girls in the dressing room. 

I shrugged. "We bantered a lot..." 

"Yeah, but they seemed like they were shaming you." 

I glanced at him, our gazes meeting. He always looks so concerned and interested in what I'm saying or how I'm doing. "I don't know, Niall."

"They don't seem like good friends, that's all I'm saying. I'm a better friend, I can tell. And Tanner." 

I smiled at him. "Yeah, okay. You are better, I guess." 

Niall beamed victoriously, throwing his fist in the air. 

<>

I was awakened by the bed shifting, and an arm looping around my waist. Gasping, I tried to sit up. 

"No, no. Please, baby. Lay back down." 

"You don't want the whole bed?" I asked softly. "I don't want to-"

Liam kissed the skin behind my ear. "No, baby. Stay. I want to cuddle and sleep."

My body was pulled until my back rested comfortably against his warm, naked chest. He shoved one of his legs between mine, holding me tightly. 

"Is everything okay?" I whispered. 

I heard him sigh and shift, trying to get more comfortable. "Yeah, just been a long night. Did you have fun with Niall?" 

"Yes. Thanks for ordering us dinner and letting him hang," I murmured, yawning halfway through. 

He nodded, pressing his lips against the back of my neck. "Sure, love. Sleep now. We'll talk in the morning." 

<>

"Hello, love," Liam greeted softly as he came into the bedroom. 

I was sat on his bed, leaning against the headboard with a book in my lap. "Hi," I replied shyly. 

When I woke up that morning, Liam and Niall were both gone. Liam had work to do and I wasn't sure where Niall had gone. But oh well, I was okay by myself.

I had on some fleece, charcoal knee socks and a floral print skater skirt and a soft pink loose top. 

Liam crawled up the bed, kneeling in front of me. "Good book?" He quizzed.