Chapter 4

Above is Sam's dragon.

Ten years ago-

We were woken by screams. The screams of dragons being killed. But who would kill dragons? My dad shot up from the ground, along with my mom. Francis and I were pushed to the very back of the cave.

"Francis, come with me. Sam, stay with your mother." My dad said to us. He and Francis disappeared out the cave.

Not long after they disappeared, I heard my dad roar in pain. Then humans came running in the cave. My mom stood in front of me, protecting me. She let out a stream of fire toward them.

The humans were protected by a shield of some sort, the fire never reached them.

They pulled out huge guns. Bullets pelted us both. We both continued to spray fire at them. My mom reared, trying to squash them. The humans saw it as an opportunity. They concentrated their bullets to her right armpit.

Dragon have only one weakness. We have a soft spot in our right armpits. If anything were to puncture the soft spot, it'd hit our heart, killing us.

I heard her roar and fall to the ground. I looked at her, unable to look away. Her beautiful white scales were covered with red. Her took a few labored breaths, then stilled.

The humans had stopped firing when she fell. I ignored them, feeling numb all over.

"Mom?" I asked in the Dragon tongue. To the humans it sounds like guttural noises, not a language. "Mom. Mom wake up! Mom!" I screamed at her. I ended up blowing a puff of fire at her. I was still a baby, only about 500 years old. I couldn't breathe a full stream of fire yet, only puffs.

I looked back at the humans to see them staring at me. My color was actually rare for dragons, contrary to what humans think. The most common colors are black, gold, and blue.

For these beings to know our weak spot, they know about the colors of us. These were no ordinary people. They were Hunters. They spend their entire lives searching for and destroying dragons and dragon nests.

A huge flame erupted behind them. Dragon Fire burns people to ash with just a touch. There was nothing left of the Hunters. Francis stepped into view, covered in dragon's blood, thankfully not his own. He looked from me to her and back to me.

"You let them kill mom?" He asked.

"No, she got in front of me. I- I couldn't do anything!" I cried. "Francis, I-"

"This is your fault! If you had just stayed back like dad told you she would be alive!" He started walking toward me. I scooted against the wall, toward the opening of the cave.

"You killed her Sam! You killed mom!" Francis roared just before blasting fire at me. "I will kill you for killing her!"

I was scared. Francis has never been this mad at me, ever. I quickly turned around and flew away. As I was leaving, I saw my dad. His life-less eyes staring at the sky.

I felt a tear fall from my eye as I flew away. I ran for my life, and I have been running every since.