Chapter 17

"People often claim to hunger for the truth, but seldom like the taste when it's served up"
-George R.R. Martin

*recap*

"So the baby learns how to be a dragon. How touching." The Boss said. "It really is a magical thing, seeing two dragons fight. Especially when you just risked your life to save the black beast in front of you." He said, looking straight at me. I glance over to Francis, then back at The Boss.

"Now that you've weakened each other, we can kill you. 'Cuz, little red Dragon, you have been alive too long."

The Hunters advanced as I let out my beautiful full stream of fire. I love my full stream of fire. It's so beautiful.

**

Dozens were burned before they even moved. Francis concentrated where there were more people. I only had one man in mind.

He was standing in the same spot as before. His arms were crossed as he watched me, his eyes never flickering to Francis or his men.

I growled and lifted my wings. I lifted just a few feet. I moved directly in front of him, squishing all the men that were underneath me.

"Go ahead, Dragon, try to kill me. I can guarantee that you'll fail." The Boss said.

I looked at him, seeing truth in his eyes. Instead of breathing fire, I calmly walked up to him. His men had now stopped fighting to watch, along with my brother.

The Boss stiffened when I brought my nose down to his level. I took a step forward so my nose was just inches from his face. Fear came off him in waves. He was afraid because a dragon has never done this to him before.

I breathed out my nose, the steam mixing with the cold air. The human in front of me became even more rigid and fearful.

I closed the gap between us, gently pressing my head against his side. I heard him take a sharp intake of breath at the touch.

As I pulled back I shifted. My long red hair covering my face at first. I pushed it back and spoke, not only to The Boss, but to all the humans here.

"Why? Why do you kill us when all we want it peace?"

"You kill more of us than we do you." The Boss said coldly.

"We only kill when attacked!" I scream back. "You are always the ones to attack first! We want to live just as much as you do! We try to be as gentle as we can! You think we take pride in killing people?"

"You kill animals. Are they no different?" Someone yelled

"That's for food!" Francis yelled back, he had shifted at some point "We don't kill when it is not necessary!"

"You kill each other!" Someone else yelled out

My head snapped in their direction. The person visibly swallowed. Anger boiled up inside me. How dare a Human judge a dragon for killing!

"Do you not kill each other too? You kill in cold blood! We do not! We kill for self defense, to settle debts, to protect our loved ones! We do not do it just to kill!" I paused, catching my breath. I look back at The Boss and scream as loud as I can "You kill us for no reason! You kill each other for no reason! You kill for no reason!"

I step away from them and toward Francis. "WHO'S THE REAL FUCKING MONSTER?" I scream as both of us burst into dragons and take to the skies.