Chapter 12

"Sir!" Someone yelled. I was back in the camp. Hunters surrounded me as I watched them. I was learning how they function, how they talk to each other.

"What!" Someone else yelled.

"We've spotted a group of dragons just two miles out, Sir."

"Then take a team and go get them!"

"Yes, Sir!"

_________

I was pulled into the group going after the dragons. There were two dozen of us in the group, including me. Almost all of the Hunters are teenagers, though some are only ten years old, or less.

We travel in groups of six. Each group is only a few feet apart. We jog the entire two miles, none of the Hunters are even breathing heavily. If course I'm not either.

There were a group of three dragons ahead. All of them younger than I am. One is deep blue, another is brown, and the third is black.

My stride faltered a bit when I saw the black one. It reminded me of Francis. Even though he has been trying to kill me for the past ten years, he's still my brother. My kin. My blood.

I was in the back of the group the entire time, so when I stopped no one noticed.

I watched as they ran toward the babies and slaughter one before any of them could move. The blue one crashed to the ground as his companions ran for cover. My head went immediately to my mom. How she had been slaughtered for what she is. How her deep red blood had splattered her beautiful white hide. Just like this baby, red covering its beautiful blue skin.

The brown one took fight and was blown to bits.

Using the distraction of the explosion, the black one ran. No one saw it run, except one. The Hunter chased after it, trying to kill it. I snapped out of my shock and ran after them. I have to save this one!

I heard a roar of pain. Tears started to spill. I'm too late. I thought to myself.

I break through the trees to see a dead Hunter and a wounded black dragon. A sigh a relief escaped me.

The baby looked at me. Fear evident in its eyes.

"Shh." I said. "I'm not going to hurt you. Okay?" The baby took a step back.

"Hey, just smell me. You'll be able to tell I'm just like you. Come on, smell me."

He took a sniff and then pushed his massive head into my chest. Even though he was a baby, he was still easily ten feet tall and more than two tons.

I smiled and patted its head. Giving him a gentle nudge to back up, I pointed toward my cave.

"Go there. That's my place; you'll be safe as long as you stay in the back of it. I'll meet you there after night fall." I said to him. He nodded and took fight, taking extra care not to be spotted.

I don't know about you, but, this one got me right in the feels.

What do you think this place is for?

Why are the Hunters so young?