IX. The Liaisons

Theo was actually surprised that Vernier found him first. The old man was fast to take the news of Desiree's presence, he noted. He had seen how he tried to compete with Richard on the day of the auction and he knew from then on that he wanted her as well.

He felt Desiree let go of his arm the moment he answered Vernier's question. He couldn't blame her.

"What do you want?" Vernier asked, finally ripping his eyes off Desiree.

Theo grabbed his drink and gave Desiree hers. She took it with shaking hands. "I'll find a place for us to discuss what I want at a much better time," Theo uttered, his free hand going to Desiree's back. He gently pushed her forward. "For now, I hope you enjoy the party."

He could feel Desiree's anger the moment they were far away enough from Vernier. He grabbed her arm in a tight grip before she could whirl and do something stupid. She was shaking and he would not be surprised if she poured her drink on him.

"Don't," he bit out near her ear, his body suddenly aware of hers pressing against his side. "Or you'll regret it."

"You're a monster," she shakily said under her breath.

"Theo!" a woman's voice called behind them. Desiree did not turn around but Theo did and found Tatiana walking toward him with a seductive smile. She flipped her blonde waves over her slender shoulders as she approached.

"Tatiana," he said with a curt smile.

He did not miss the curious look the lady threw Desiree but she knew better than to ask. "Where have you been? I thought you were going to call?"

By this time, Desiree had calmed down, or dumb, he thought. He saw from the corner of his eye that she took a big gulp from her drink. "I'm sorry," he told Tatiana, turning Desiree around so she was facing the lady as well. "I was rather occupied." His hands traveled down to Desiree's hips and back to her waist. He gently squeezed, pulling her closer to him as he talked. Desiree swallowed and gulped down her drink, emptying her glass.

Another man appeared right beside Tatiana. "Look who's here?" the man asked, his eyes on Theo as he wrapped his arm around Tatiana's waist. Theo saw Tatiana flinch a bit before she recovered and smiled again, saying, "He has been busy, as you can see," to the young man.

Theo saw Geoffrey Yann's eyes hover over Desiree who had been standing like a stone beside Theo. "Is this what I think it is?" asked Yann, looking at Theo and then at his wife with eyes full of wonder.

"Yes, she's the one I talked to you about," Tatiana said, giving Desiree a smile.

Yann gave Theo a look of approval. "Great buy, Theo. Not bad for your first time."

He rested the palm of his hands on Desiree's bare arm, making sure that the man saw it. He gently ran it up and down as he said, "Yes, she's been...good," he answered, his gaze turning toward her.

Yann laughed and changed the subject. "Have you had a talk with the new clients? I just bumped into one of them and they've wanted to see you."

Theo was checking Tatiana's reaction but other than the empty smile she pasted on her lips, he didn't note anything alarming. Not like the last time, he thought. "I'll be in touch with them. There has been some change of plans," he informed Yann, hiding any sign of bitterness for having been given a different task.

"I saw you talking to my father earlier," Tatiana told him.

Theo watched as Yann gripped his wife's waist toward him and said, "Sweetheart, we were talking about business. You can ask your irrelevant questions later."