XXXII. AWOL

Desiree went straight to Tatiana, gave the lady a peck and asked, "How are you feeling? How's the baby?"

Her friend smiled. Funny how she now considered Tatiana a friend after everything that had happened to her—forced into this crazy world underground and nearly killed by her own father twice thought Tatiana would never know about that—and felt right about it. Tatiana just smiled and said, "My stupid husband did not come home last night. That means I am far more than alright, right?"

"If he doesn't come home at all, now that would be far more than alright." She didn't know when she started to voice her dislike to her husband but Tatiana seemed to agree with her as well. What she never asked was why the lady wouldn't leave the bastard. Theo had told her a lot of times that Tatiana was stronger than she thought and Desiree hang on to that. So far, Tatiana's husband hadn't been physical. As a matter of fact, he was just...absent.

"What do want to do today?" Tatiana asked.

She scrunched up her face. "I don't know." Actually, she knew what she wanted to do. She wanted to find Richard and have a proper talk about Jamaica. But that had to wait. For now, she really had nothing much to do.

"Why don't we go up?" By up she meant out on the streets.

"You know I can't go out there as often as I'd like," she pointed out.

Tatiana's shoulders sagged. "We can't get sunlight here. You know I need that."

Desiree sighed. "Fine. But no public places this time. I can't risk being...detected."

Her friend beamed at her. "Great."

Before they finished their coffee and leave, Desiree sent Richard a message.

Where are you? I have to talk to you about Jam. Theo and I found something from the files.

"I think we need to go to that restaurant I talked to you about. They offer the best lunch," Tatiana was saying and Desiree only smiled.

*****

Khaye knew that someone was watching her. She didn't see, but she could feel it.

She made a lot of mistakes at work because of it.

"What's wrong with you?" asked her boss.

"It's...it's nothing. I don't feel so good. Headache," she lied.

The man just nodded and motioned with his head, "Better sleep it off. I can't have more shattered plates around here."

She nearly said no. She didn't want to go. She'd rather stay here where it was safe.

"Well?" her boss urged.

"Okay. Thanks." Slowly, she made her way to the back, taking off her apron. She grabbed her bag and nearly sprinted out of the diner, eager to go back in the safety of her small apartment.

Having walked one block, she sensed it again. Her heart started beating against her chest as she picked up her pace. The muscles in her legs started to ache but she kept the brisk walk. She didn't want to start running because that would give her away.

Just a few more blocks, she chanted in her mind.

*****

Tatiana and Desiree were just finishing her lunch when a familiar voice spoke behind them. "It's so nice to bump into such beautiful ladies," Richard said, taking the seat beside Desiree.

Tatiana smiled and Desiree forced one as well. She should have known he'd find her as soon as he could.

Ten minutes later, Tatiana was off to go home, leaving Desiree with Richard who promised to take her back to Theo after he was done with his coffee.