IX. Package Surprise

The cabin was dark when she returned. She saw Theo's figure lying on the couch and she quietly closed the door behind her. She leaned against it for a moment to calm her nerves. Her encounter with Mr. Berkeley had made a big turn for her. Unknowingly for both Theo and the guy, she was presented with an opportunity to run away from the world she was trapped in.

She took a deep breath and slowly let it go. If she played this right, she could fool Theo, save the kids and run away with Mr. Berkeley.

But he can be worse than Theo, a part of her thought.

That may be right, but at least she had a shot of fooling the guy. She'd have a better chance of escape if she chose Mr. Berkeley. But what could Theo do if she did that?

You can kill him.

Mr. Berkeley's words ran around her mind. She could do that with Berkeley's help. But was she willing to go that far? She was no murderer.

"You took your damn time," Theo said from the couch and she jumped in surprise.

"You're still awake," she said when she recovered.

He was on his feet in less than two seconds and was storming toward her, his shadowed form making her heart race. "So, did your makeup session give you any progress?" he asked when he was finally facing her. He was standing too close and she was trapped between him and the door.

"Yes. As a matter of fact, it did." She tried to think fast. She had to give something to Theo or he would think she was planning something.

"What is it?" She couldn't see his face because of the darkness and she hoped he couldn't see her nervous look either.

Desiree gulped and said, "He gave me an offer to work with him." When Theo remained silent, she added, "That confirms your suspicions, doesn't it?"

He nodded. "That presents a problem. We still have two more weeks to plan everything."

"What's your next plan?"

"Now that we've confirmed he double crossed us, you can stop seeing him."

She wasn't against it. Berkeley had already told her the same thing. "But what if I can get more information from him?"

Theo stepped closer, closing the distance between them until she was pressed hard against the door. "Why do I get the feeling that you like being around that guy?"

"And why do I get that feeling that you hate seeing me with that guy?" she countered.

What he did next was unexpected. Though it was clear that there was a sexual tension building up between them, she didn't expect him to act on it again like he did the last time in his home. She was pinned against the door and his mouth was against hers in a rough, passionate kiss. She fought him with what remained of her strength. He let go of her mouth but his hands kept hers above her head in a strong hold. "If you think I am going to deny the fact that I hate seeing you kissing that bastard, you're wrong. Because I know I can do it better," he rasped against her mouth, nuzzling her nose with his. She felt his hips against hers and she almost gave in until he said, "If you just beg, I'll give you more, Desiree."

She suddenly felt numb and she pulled her hands free and he let her, much to her surprise. "The only begging you'll get from me is from my dead body." Her voice was shaking with anger. "You stay away from me, Theo."

"You are not going near Berkeley again, do you hear?"

She did not reply and went straight to the bathroom door.

"Desiree." His voice was full of warning.

"If you stay away from me, I will gladly do it," she snapped at him before slamming the door behind her.