XXVI. Alliances

She didn't know how to react. All of a sudden she was fully awake, staring at him with eyes wide.

"It happened while she was waiting for me outside school. She usually parked her car just across the street. I was just about to run to her when I noticed that she was talking to someone. She looked stressed, arguing with the man. I thought it was just another guy from work who wanted to take her out." A hint of a smile perked on his lips when he tore his eyes from her and stared at the ceiling. "She was a beauty, you know. And it was not unusual to find guys at our doorsteps. One thing she didn't like was us witnessing her times with her boyfriends so I stayed back to wait until the guy walked away. But he didn't. He urged her to get into his car parked just behind hers. She was hesitant but followed him anyway. Then they drove off."

Desiree waited for the next words with anticipation, looking at Theo's face as it hardened at the memory.

"That was the last I saw of her alive. She was found dead that very afternoon, just three blocks away from school."

She spread her hands over his chest, the only way she knew she could give an ounce of comfort.

"I never linked her death with our father. He immediately took us in and introduced us to his world underground. For years, I never thought he had anything to do with it. Not until I saw Vernier."

Desiree moved higher, resting on her elbows, and stared at him. "He is the man who was with her that day," she said without question.

"I never forgot his face. And when I saw him two years after Mr. Hong took us in, I knew. I knew her death was planned."

"Does Richard know?"

"God, no," he said, taking his arm away from his forehead. "I never thought of telling him."

Desiree thought for a long time before she spoke. "Your brother scares the crap out of me, Theo, but I think he can help you with your plans."

"I am working on that." He suddenly rolled on top of her and buried his face at the crook of her neck. "You don't have to worry about my plans. It's not your place."

"Destroying your father means a lot to me." His hands went still on her hips. "It means you can take over and if I helped you get there, I can have my prize."

He pushed up to look down at her. "Your freedom." She searched for any hint of anything on his face but there was none. Reading Theo had always been difficult and she doubted if she could ever master the art of it.

Nodding with a forced smile, she said, "My freedom."

"You sure know how to ruin the mood," he snapped, rolling off her and out of the bed in seconds.

She watched as he confidently walked to the bathroom door completely naked. Rolling on the bed to bury her face in the pillow, she let out a groan of frustration.

No, she was not entertaining any thoughts of hesitations.

I have to be free. I want to be free, she said to herself. I have a life waiting out there for me. I have to clear my name. I don't belong here.

*****

Theo was back to his old self the next day, his little tantrum forgotten.

He took her with him back underground and by this time, Desiree had gotten used to the different entrances they took, the hallways they passed by, and even the spacious lounge she had to stay in while waiting for his return.