XVIII. Milo Vernier

"Can you talk now?" Theo asked her, his tone impatient.

She took her time with her steak before she answered, "What do you want to know?"

He closed his eyes to control himself. He wanted to wring her neck but he knew that it would only make her make things harder for him. "Tell me what you planned with the twins," he said under his breath.

"Ah, that." She took more time with her wine this time. "Well, it is nothing of such great importance, but I was hoping it will help us once we dock."

"What is it?"

She smiled and said, "I successfully managed to make them think we are playing a game."

"What game?"

"A mission game."

Theo waited until she was satisfied with the long silence.

"I told them that we should find out who their brother's friends are on this ship."

He looked at her drily. "They already know."

Desiree flashed him a smile. "I know. And I know they are just trying to make me think that they don't. And I know that they will reveal who their brother's friends are in no time. That will make them think they are leading the mission game. And once they realize that, the real mission begins."

He raised his brows and leaned closer. "What mission?"

"Mission two: know what their brother and his friends are planning to do."

He thought about it and said, "Wouldn't it be dangerous for them?"

"They are smart kids. And people usually underestimate kids, even the incredible ones. Berkeley has been around the twins for quite a long time now. He must have long taken down his guards around them."

He just slowly nodded. "It is best if we know what he is planning with the Chinese but we still have to make plans of our own. We can't trust this whole thing to a couple of kids."

"I know. And Berkeley still thinks I am on his side, right?"

His face grew more serious. "Don't make plans with that man on your own, Desiree."

She sighed. "I might just do that."

His eyes darted toward her. "What do you mean by that?"

"You told me that if I work with you on this one, you'll tell me what you're planning to do to me with Vernier."

"I told you I'll do that after all of this is over."

"Well, the game has changed. I want to know now."

"Why?"

"And why won't you tell me? Will it make me change my mind?"

"No, not really."

"Then tell me. You can't expect me to let go of the chance to get out of this mess with you only to throw myself and be trapped in another mess."

He thought about it. Desiree would not dare betray him now, would she? But what if she would?

He studied her eyes and she did not even flinch as she met his with conviction. Theo sighed. "Okay, I'll tell you."

"Now."

"Later."

"But—"

"After dinner."

"Theo—"