ii

Hello beautiful person! Thank you for reading my first book! I hope you like it:)

"Could your skirt be any shorter?" I asked. She looked down and snorted.

"Is it just me or are you just jealous?" Tasha asked, parading in her red stilettos and way-too-short-for-school mini skirt. I rolled my eyes.

"It's just you." Milla replied. She was the most reasonable of my friends while Tasha was the opposite. She was silly, immature and didn't care what other people thought of her.

We were walking down the crowded hallway to go to lunch. Our last year of high school had started two days ago but it felt like it had started two months ago.

"I mean, look at us! Why don't we have boyfriends?" Tasha asked loudly, attracting attention from some senior boys. Tasha noticed and winked at them. I swear, sometimes she acted like this was her second year in middle school. I elbowed her in the stomach.

"I thought you liked somebody else." It was like she had a different crush everyday, I couldn't keep up.

"No, he has a girlfriend," Tasha said indifferently as we took our seats in the cafeteria. Tasha took out her mirror to apply lipgloss on her already pink lips.

"So," Milla changed the subject, "What are we doing for your birthday tonight?"

"Ohmygod, yes! What are we doing?" Tasha interrupted excitedly and I grimaced. I almost forgot.

It was my birthday today.

"Nothing special." I shrugged, not even sure what we were doing. Usually my friends and family got together and ate cake on the deck.

"But it's the big one-eight! You're finally an adult, we have to do something fun!" Tasha exclaimed, "Pool party? Karaoke night? Fancy dinner?" She offered but I shook my head at each one.

Tasha was the one who loved attention while I barely tolerated it. I found birthday's really embarrassing. I'd rather have my family and best friends with me than a bunch of strangers.

"How about dinner at my house?" I suggested.

"Dinner sounds great." Milla smiled and took a bite of her sushi.

"Can we invite boys?" Tasha asked eagerly.

"No boys. I just want a nice, relaxing birthday this year." Having boys over just complicated things. Besides, I didn't even have any boys to invite.

"I'm gonna find your soulmate someday." She promised and I scoffed.

"Soulmates don't exist."

.•*•.

A strange feeling rushed over me when I got home.

I opened the door and it was unusually quiet. The TV wasn't on and my parents weren't in the family room like they normally were when I get home.