xv

"What do you mean she has to leave?" I asked

"Iris' mate is Troy's brother, the next in line to be Alpha." Ares said in an angry voice and his hands turned to fists. "She has no choice but to join his pack. She can't be apart from her mate or else her wolf will die."

So if I were apart from Ares, his wolf would die. But he didn't actually meet me until six years after he saw me. He waited for so long. . .

"Is she still spying for us?" I asked curiously.

"Of course. But it'll be more difficult since her mate will know where she is at all times." Blake said. "I still can't believe it," He added in a quieter voice.

"The plan is still the same. This doesn't change anything." Ares announced indifferently.

.•*•.

I was walking up the stairs, really wanting to get out of these heels, when I noticed a figure standing off to the side. I squinted at the face.

"Claire?"

She was the last person I expected to see.

"Surprise!" She exclaimed. "Merry Christmas! I came to give you a present." She held up a small bag and waved it around.

"You didn't have to—"

Claire interrupted me like her brother had.

"Don't start with me, I wanted to. Now open it!" She thrusted the bag in my hands.

I reached into the bag and picked out a rectangular box with a big bow wrapped around it. When I opened it, my eyes widened.

A glimmering diamond bracelet was laying in the tissue paper.

I was shocked by all these expensive gifts.

"I can't accept this." I closed it and handed it back. Don't get me wrong, I was incredibly grateful for everyone's generous gifts but I couldn't help but feel a bit spoiled. And guilty.

Here they were giving me super extravagant presents while I had nothing to return the favor.

"Why not?" She challenged. I thought up of something quick.

"It doesn't match my new necklace." I pointed to the ruby necklace Ares gave me tonight.

"Do you know what that is?" Claire's eyes bugged out of their sockets.

"A ruby?" I frowned.

"Not just any ruby." Her voice grew louder by the second. "In our family, it's the ruby the Alpha gives to his Luna when he's ready to mark her. It means he's accepted you."