xviii

"Correct," Troy clapped his hands sarcastically

Betrayal is the first thing I felt.

Holly was the spy, not Leah. She was working for Troy. Our enemy.

"Alpha Troy," Holly bowed and shoved her elbow into my stomach. "Bow." She hissed and I weakly obeyed.

He scoffed.

"So this is the Luna?" Troy grabbed my chin and forced me to look up at him. "She looks like an ordinary girl." His grip was strong as steel and I couldn't break free, no matter how much I wanted to. I didn't like the way he was staring at me, like I was an item at an auction and he was deciding if he wanted to buy me.

I stared into his eyes. They were the color of honey, an unusual color.

From the way he carried himself I could tell he was arrogant and cruel. He was an Alpha, after all.

Except Troy was nothing like Ares.

"You're almost famous in my pack. Who ever heard of an Alpha who was mates with a human?" He finally let go of me and I rubbed my chin.

I was so tired of only being known as a human. I wanted to tear my hair out.

But I bit my tongue. He could easily kill me right here, right now.

"Why?" That was all I wanted to know.

How had I never noticed that the spy was right in front of my face? How could the traitor be someone so close to me?

I looked at Holly, who returned my stare with an innocent one.

"It's nothing personal." She shrugged nonchalantly.

Holly was shrouded in mystery. Why had she done it? Why had she agreed to kidnap me and take me to the enemy?

"Go on, tell her." Troy nodded.

"I was born in a peaceful pack just north of the white mountains. We were small in numbers but we were very close and thrived on our land for years. There was no war, there was no famine, there was no disease. My parents loved each other and they loved their children. I had the perfect life." She exhaled and I knew it was about to get much worse. "The Trueblood pack stole all of that from me. They came out of nowhere, invaded our home, and started killing everyone. Our healer died right in front of my eyes, I'll never forget the way the Alpha murdered her. I was only able to get away because my sister sacrificed herself for me. I was only seven years-old."

This was the first time hearing about Ares's parents and I didn't know if they were telling the truth.

"They killed almost all the women and children." Troy said in a dead voice.

"Why did they do that?" I thought it was supposed to be Troy's pack that started the feud. They were the bad guys.

"They wanted power. They were obsessed with conquering other packs." Troy explained. That didn't sound like Ares' pack to me.

"They killed my family!" Darcy shrieked and I flinched from the sound of her heartbreak. "They killed everyone I cared about!" Her face twisted with wrath.

Troy turned his back to us and started to walk around the house. Darcy took a deep breath and paused for a minute.

For a moment, I could see where she was coming from. The Trueblood wolves committed horrible crimes against her pack for no good reason but that was Ares's parents, not Ares himself. If what she was saying were true then she was punishing someone who had no involvement.

"But why hurt Ares? He was just a child then, he didn't do anything wrong."

"It's called tying up loose ends. You think Ares is a hero but you're mistaken. His parents may have been the ones to launch the attack but he was the one who saw it through." She snapped. "He loves killing just like any other Alpha."

"That's a lie." I hissed.

"You don't know him at all." Darcy continued with her story but I didn't want to listen anymore. "I was on my own for a long time before Troy found me. He gave me food and shelter while I told him my story. We devised a plan together, one that would take many years to fulfill but would pay off tenfold in the end." She was a lot calmer than before, back to the Holly I once knew well. "I infiltrated the Trueblood pack and slowly gained everyone's trust. Then I went to work. I set up traps for their messengers, I hired hunters to kill off the Alpha's daughter, I waited until their son found his mate so I could kill her. You see, if you died then he would die, too, but it didn't go as planned. You were human," She explained, "We had a truce and we were prohibited from killing humans on human territory."

So being human saved me.

But what kind of truce did they have that allowed humans to know about the werewolves?

"Then Ares brought you into his territory, which worked out perfectly for us. I used the knowledge of the secret underground tunnels to kill you. I was suppose to lead you away from Ares when the attack happened. Unfortunately, Beta West had to die, which was a great loss." She hung her head solemnly.

I grabbed a chair and sat down at the kitchen table. I didn't think I could listen to her for another second. It was too painful.

"You killed Leah." That's why we couldn't find her body.

"I had to." Darcy shrugged. I covered my mouth with my hands, a whimper coming out. Leah was innocent all along. It was my fault she was killed. "I've killed many people."

How could she act so casual about murdering innocent lives? Didn't she feel anything?

"I helped kill Ares' parents." She dropped an exploding bomb.

"What?"

"I savored their deaths the most." Darcy leaned against the wall and I almost forgot how to breathe. "I won't rest until the entire Trueblood line is eliminated. But first, Ares will know what it feels like to have it all ripped away from him and there will be nothing he can do to stop it."

"How could you do it? How could you lie to us all this time?" I just couldn't understand how she was able to trick us so easily. She lied to everyone's face when she had been planning this all along.

For once, Darcy didn't have an answer.

"Don't you feel guilty?" I questioned.

"Enough," Troy appeared by Darcy's side and I jumped out of my chair. "Let's go."

"Where are we going?" I demanded.

"Do you really have to ask?" Troy shoved me into the hallway and I flinched at his touch.

I was going to Troy's pack. Into enemy territory.

And Ares wouldn't be able to save me.

Thank you for the 1K views!! School already started so I'll be really busy but I'll try to update soon. Vote, comment and share