ix

Wandering around the castle, I finally found Ares looking out a window

Wandering around the castle, I finally found Ares looking out a window. He seemed distracted somehow.

"I tried looking for my family tree and. . . and instead I found yours. . . I'm sorry about your parents," I said, my voice cracking at how sad it was. I couldn't imagine losing my parents. It was just too sad.

"I don't want your sympathy." Ares muttered in an empty voice, "I didn't tell you for a reason. This is why."

"Why?" I was only feeling sorry for him. Was he that cold?

"Because now you won't stay by your choice." Ares shook his head.

I blinked. "I had a choice?"

"There was always a choice." He looked into my eyes.

I walked around, thinking at the same time. Maybe I misjudged him. "Well, I choose to stay."

"But because of your sympathy, because you feel sorry for me." He countered and crossed his arms.

"No." My voice echoed against the walls. "Because this pack needs me."

"I'm not deaf. I hear what the others say about you. Especially Iris and Leah." Ares told me and I didn't even think he knew about that. But I guess he knew everything around here.

"How do you know about that?"

"We have a bond. It's hard to ignore your emotions, especially since yours are so strong."

I frowned, confused.

"Then why can't I do the same?" I asked but already knew the answer.

It all came back to me being human. I wasn't like them. I wasn't strong or brave like them. I couldn't feel the mate bond, I couldn't turn into a wolf, I couldn't make them see me. To them, I was just someone who didn't belong. That's all anyone saw.

But not Ares. Or Holly or Soren or Blake. Maybe there were some people who cared about me.

"I can order them to respect you." Ares told me with more authoritive power in his voice.

"No, you can't order someone's feelings to change." I shook my head. "Besides, I want to make friends with them on my own."

"You're not how I expected."

It almost looked like he was surprised. Was he expecting someone else?

"What do you mean?"

"You're kind, patient, modest," Ares told me and I almost tripped over my feet.

Was he softening up?

"But you're also outspoken, irritating and the most stubborn woman I've ever met."

Nevermind.

"Well, you're not how I expected either. You're probably the most confusing person ever." I shook my head, feeling angry that he thought I was irritating.