xxiii

Mother nature always knew when a war was coming

The clouds blocked the sun's warm rays and the sky was a dark, murky gray. The sign of an impending storm.

Troy and his wolves headed out for the border. Blood was the only thing on their minds. They left before the sun rose. . . and I was too late.

I was confined back to the cells. I was lying down and making lines on the floor with a rock when I heard the sound of fighting upstairs.

A tall figure in a long black robe appeared before me. They kicked the door to my cell wide open with one swift movement and it landed on the ground with a loud thud.

I stared at the hooded figure and squinted at the face, wondering if I could trust them.

The person removed their hood and I gasped.

"Iris?" I asked and smiled when I saw the tell-tale white hair escape the hood. "Iris!" I exclaimed in relief.

I honestly thought she had betrayed us. I'm glad she proved me wrong.

"Let's go, Alpha Troy left an hour ago." She said, all business, and started to sprint to the exit. I had a hard time following her since her strides were so long.

"My parents—" I stared longingly back at the cell.

"We'll come for them later. We need to go." Iris pushed me forward as we reached the steps. We quickly made our way up the stairs before the guards could wake up.

"What about Dallas?" Wasn't he supposed to be with her all day?

"I convinced him to leave without me."

We made our way through the maze of halls and Iris led me to one of the back doors. She grabbed a spare coat and opened the door.

The air was crisp but not cold. There were small patches of grass with melting snow which is how I knew that spring was here. I couldn't believe I missed so much time.

"How are we suppose to get there?" I asked as my feet sunk in the snow. Wasn't the ride an hour from here?

Iris started to take off her robe. Her pale skin and hair matched the snow on the ground.

"What are you doing?" I demanded.

"I'm going to phase and you're going to get on my back." Iris said simply as she took off her shoes next.

I shielded my eyes as I heard a howl pierce my ears.

.•*•.

Her wolf was fast. She was definitely faster than riding a horse would be. I wrapped my arms around her neck and held on for dear life. Her red fur was soft but rough in some places, just like Ares's.