xii

Autumn's reign ended and the days grew shorter

Autumn's reign ended and the days grew shorter. The first snow just started to fall two days ago. I always loved the winter because it reminded me of my childhood—during an easier time.

After the attack, Ares had more guards stationed at the gates and around the castle.

I spent the majority of my days with Holly, Blake and Ares. I still missed my friends and family but the longing for them dimmed to a very small point until I didn't think of them anymore.

Time stopped existing. I didn't know how many days I'd been away from home but it was all the same. I was living in a dream.

"Where are we going?" I asked as Ares and I walked down the stairs through the castle.

He had showed me more emotion but he was still distant.

"To train. You ready?" Ares asked me and I finally remembered that I asked him to train me.

"Yes," I nodded, looking outside at the white blanket covering the ground.

Ares took off his black jacket and handed it to me.

"Put this on, it's snowing,"

"Won't you be cold?" I asked but he shook his head.

I shrugged the jacket on and reveled in it's warmth. Mmm, it smelled like him. Like the woods.

When we got outside, the ground was blanketed with snow.

"Where are my opponents?" I looked around but no one was there except us.

"You're looking at them."

"B-But-" He was huge. And I've seen the way he fights, he's amazing! He didn't even look like he was trying when he fought West.

He probably could've fought with his hands tied behind his back with his eyes closed, and he still would've won.

"I won't hurt you. Ever." Ares reassured me and my heart skipped a beat.

"Okay, what do I do?" I asked him nervously.

"We'll start with blocking," He told me and I mirrored his stance, "Always have your hands in front of your face."

I did what he said and he started to go for my face. I used my arms to block his blows. He waited until I was ready again and punched with his left fist.

He was holding back. He wasn't as quick or as accurate as before. But even though he was taking it easy on me, I felt like I could take him—at least I hoped.

We trained for hours. My body was starting to weaken but Ares showed no sign of exhaustion. I was beginning to think he was invincible.

He always recovered way before I did. He made everything look easy and effortless. Ares Trueblood was a legend.