xiii

Iris left for Alpha Troy's pack two days later in the middle of night

Iris left for Alpha Troy's pack two days later in the middle of night. She phased into her wolf and didn't look back.

I looked up at the stats shimmering in the sky above us and silently wished her good luck.

"She'll be okay, Alpha. She knows how to take care of herself." Blake reassured him and put a hand on his shoulder.

"I know." Ares turned away as the snowflakes covered Iris's tracks.

The full moon glowed behind the bare trees as we followed him into the castle. I knew it would be a long time before she returned.

.•*•.

I woke up on fire.

I screamed and thrashed around.

The fire scorched my skin and pain spread like wildfire. It ripped at my skin and burned every cell in my body. I dug my fingernails into my palm and felt tears trickle down my cheeks.

Cold hands grabbed my arms and took me in. For a moment, their skin was like the ocean and my heart slowed. Until the fire ramped up and hit me like a brick wall.

I finally opened my eyes and saw Ares with a pained look in his eyes. He swept my hair away from my face and his cold breath against my cheek felt good.

"Fuck. This wasn't suppose to happen." He muttered.

"What's happening to me?" I cried and clawed at my robe. I was soaked in sweat.

"Heat."

Where have I heard 'heat' before?

Another wave of fire pierced my body and a loud whimper escaped my lips.

Ares hastily picked me up and carried me to the bathroom. He set me down in the tub and turned on the water to the coldest setting. Water pricked my skin but it was no match for putting out the eternal flame blazing everywhere.

He ran to the door and yelled at Holly in the hall.

"Get Soren now!" He roared impatiently and I could feel the vibration of Holly's footsteps run to find him.

Ares returned and placed a cold cloth over my forehead.

"Please, make it stop!" I wailed desperately. Why was this even happening?

"Soren is coming." He murmured and grabbed my sweaty hand.

Three painful minutes later, Soren rushed in. He came towards me but Ares growled at him, shielding me in a possessive manner.