Chapter 3

I know the pic is not gold eyes but let's pretend it's pretty close
~~
"Cece Frey, age 24, was found dead Monday afternoon in the Blue Moon forest. A civilian found Frey's body on one of the running trails surrounding the lake. Cause of death: animal attack. It is unknown what kind of animal killed her, but police assume it was a mountain lion, bear, or wolf-"

Clara shut off the TV and sighed.

"Of course your father has us move to the town where wild animals attack the residence," she huffed, turning to her three children. "I don't want you guys anywhere near that forest until they catch that beast,"

"This is so cool," Chris said. "You wouldn't find this in Miami,"

"Christopher, a wild animal mauling a poor girl to death is not 'cool,' it's horrid," Clara scolded. "I hope they catch that animal soon,"

Lauren took a look at the clock, and then got up. "Going to school, see you later,"

"Wait!" Clara called. "I need you to take the car for an oil change after school,"

"Where would I do that?" Lauren asked.

"I saw an auto shop near your school, I think it's called Malik's. Why don't you ask one of your new friends to show you where it is?"

Lauren's first day was the definition of the word awkward. She hadn't met many people, besides Normani, and she wouldn't exactly call those girls in her history class her 'friends.' Lauren missed her friends in Miami. She was fairly popular back there.

Normani walked up to Lauren at her locker before homeroom.

"Hey Mani, how'd cheerleading tryouts go?" she asked.

"Pretty well," Normani beamed. "They want me to come to the second day of tryouts,"

"Congratulations!" Lauren smiled, hugging Mani.

"Oh my god, I was so nervous! But the girls on the squad are super nice, I should introduce you!"

"Yeah, that would be great!"

"How did the rest of your day go?"

"Pretty boring. Nothing out of the ordinary,"

"Did you hear about the murder?" Normani asked, her voice dropping. Lauren nodded.

"Yeah, that's pretty awful,"

The doors to the hallway flew open. In a line, almost like it came out of movie, walked in Camila's posse. But... wait...

"Where's Camila?" Lauren asked Normani.

Normani looked at the group, "I'm not sure," she turned back to Lauren "Some of the girls on the squad told me about them," she whispered.

"What'd they say?"

Normani glanced at the group to make sure they were out of an earshot, then back at Lauren.

"All of them, except for Jacob, are orphaned and their foster father is some 25 year old guy. They live in a cabin in Blue Moon forest. Apparently they don't really talk to anyone besides the members of their group. Zendaya told me there was something sketchy about them, like they're hiding something, only no one knows what it is,"

"Yikes," Lauren frowned. "Blue Moon forest? The place where that girl died?"

Normani nodded. "I kinda understand why everyone is so afraid of them,"

"They seemed pretty normal when I spoke to them,"

"You talked to them?" Normani sounded shocked, or was it repulsed? Lauren nodded shyly.