18) Photograph

The drive to the hospital was silent apart from Charlie's gurgles at the back.

As soon as Andy pulled up to the hospital I rushed Charlie out of the car and into the hospital. I asked the receptionist where Zander was and ran to the baby ward in which they were keeping him, Andy following closely behind me.

I found the baby ward and went in, there was no sign of Jinxx and Sammi, maybe they were talking to a doctor or something?

I spotted Zander immediately at the end and rushed over to him, tears leaking from my eyes as I looked at my tiny baby covered in wires looking rather pale although he looked like he was sleeping peacefully.

"Zan-er" Charlie muttered, reaching for her brother, but I pulled her up.

"I'm sorry baby, you can't sleep with your brother, he's ill." I told her gently.

"Ah, you must be his older sister?" The doctor asked me, replacing his slightly disgusted look with a smile.

"No, this little girl, Charlie is his sister, I'm his mother." I replied. He laughed as though it was a joke.

"No, there was an older man and woman, the people who brought him in." He told me.

"Maybe my parents who were looking after them while I went to school?" I told him. He was starting to get on my nerves and I could tell it was getting on Andy's nerves too. I handed Charlie to Andy. I then stood in front of the doctor, making direct eye contact. He was the same height as me.

"Would you kindly fuck off and tell me how my son is doing, or am I going to have to complain and actually ask for a doctor who will help my son get better and not fucking judge his family." I asked through gritted teeth just as Sammi and Jinxx walked in.

"Sky! You weren't supposed to be here..." Jinxx muttered, looking at Andy.

"Don't blame Uncle Andy! I made him bring me because I wanted to see Zander." I told him. Jinxx sighed.

"Ok, now what's going on between you and the doctor?" Jinxx asked with raised eyebrows.

"He's being an ass and won't tell me what's happening with my son." I replied, glaring at the doctor who staring at his clipboard with a frown.

"Excuse me sir, can you please tell us how he's doing?" Jinxx asked him politely.

"Um, well, know that we're doing the best we can..." He muttered, looking uneasy.

"But?" I pushed. The doctor sighed.

"We don't think he's going to make it, I'm sorry." He told us, and with that, he left the room. I stood there frozen. My body not choosing function. The doctors words echoed around my head like a broke record.

Then I just collapsed to the floor and started sobbing. Someone picked me up and carried me out the room, so I assumed it was Jinxx. He pulled my hands away from my eyes and made me look at him, even though he was kinda blurred through all the tears.

"Sky, deep breaths." He told me gently, noticing my breathing had become uneven.

"He c-can't d-die!" I sobbed. He pulled me into his chest as I sobbed. I noticed he had let a few tears slip too.

"I know, but we can't help it, we can just be there for him as much we can, death comes for us all eventually." He told me.

"B-but he's n-n-not even s-six month y-yet!" I sobbed.

"I know, I know..." He said quietly, gently rubbing my back and rocking us back and forth slightly as I cried, trying to calm me down. Once I was reduced to hiccups, he began to talk again.