Prologue

I think most people would be terrified to change high schools and start over, but for me, I think it might be a good thing. While I am very nervous, I'm so glad to be escaping my old school. Thankfully, I only had to spend two years there. I'll be starting my junior year at Pine Hills High School.

"Stop daydreaming and help me, would you?" My father's tired but sharp tone captures my attention and I help him bring the last few boxes into our apartment. It's right at the edge of the town, on the third floor of an old brick building. It's not the coziest place, but it's more interesting than the last place we lived.

My room is small but the window has a decent view. Past the rooftops and some pine trees, I can see a field. It's nice that we aren't in the middle of nowhere, but still have a lot of nature to look at.

Even before dinnertime, my father has fallen asleep on the couch. Cardboard boxes are sitting around the room, some opened and sorted, some shoved into the corner. He'll deal with them later, but I decide to get a head start.

I don't blame him for being exhausted. The drive was only a half hour but packing was rushed because he's already been working his new job here for a week. I'm not exactly sure what he does... something with computers. I don't really get computers. He used to have his own business but now he's working for others, which I know he hates.

As I unpack, I glance out the window at the darkening sky and catch a glimpse of my blue hair reflecting on the glass. I don't know what I should do about it. I've never worn it to school like this before since it's only something I was planning to do for the summer. My father hates it, but he didn't make me change it. I'm not exactly sure if I like the attention it gets when I go outside, but it's a really nice color so I don't want to dye it back to brown again. Being an artist, I can't help but like it. I don't know why I never used my hair as a canvas before.

I grimace slightly as I think about it. I know why. It's because it would have given the guys at school one more thing to make fun of. No matter how nice of a color it is, they'd find something nasty to say about it. They'd probably call me gay. That was their favorite thing to say. I'll never understand why people these days choose it as an insult.

Whether my hair gets attention or not, it's too late to change it. My first day of school is tomorrow and I didn't have the time or money to get more dye to cover over it.

I dig out some clothes from a box in my room and lay them out for tomorrow. A simple black shirt and some cargo shorts. Plain enough for no one to comment on.

If they don't say anything, then I don't have to either.

-----
Author's Note: Hello there! Thanks for reading the prologue of my book. This is the first one I posted on Wattpad back in 2015 and I had no idea that I'd ever complete it. Well, I did, and I'm proud of myself for seeing it through because this is the first book I ever actually finished. So, Jude and Ross are very special to me. I truly enjoyed writing their story, developing the characters, and hearing your feedback along the way. Please, keep commenting because I love reading your reactions and critiques. This is the first draft so this book can be improved as I edit it. Votes are also appreciated (:  You will see author's notes in this book at the end of the chapters. Each one is from the time I published that specific chapter, so keep in mind that some of them are a few years old but you can still feel free to reply to them! I am a friendly person and love interacting with my readers.

There is a second book called "A Hint of Color" on my profile and there will be another book after that as well as a prequel. Well, enjoy! Thank you again for clicking on this story!

-----
Copyright © 2015 by Shiloh Cass

All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced, distributed, or transmitted in any form or by any means, including photocopying, recording, or other electronic or mechanical methods, without the prior written permission of the author, except in the case of brief quotations embodied in critical reviews and certain other noncommercial uses permitted by copyright law. For permission requests, private message Shiloh Cass. (me, lol)