Chapter 20

I try to distract myself by studying for midterm exams but it's difficult. I have such mixed feelings about Ross right now.

Once midterms are over, I get stuck in gym class for the second half of the year instead of health. I'm not very athletic and I worry about looking stupid, so my days become even less enjoyable. At least Gareth is in this class with me.

So is Clara, unfortunately. She spends her time complaining and glaring at everyone, strutting around with her friends like they're too good for the rest of us.

She doesn't give me any trouble for a few days but then comes up behind me after class. "You're friends with that kid Ross right?"

I stop walking and hesitantly turn towards her.

"Tell him to leave my brother alone," says Clara, narrowing her eyes.

I bite my lip and hurry away. I don't want to hear that.

Ross is still hanging around Jacob? I guess that happened because he's fighting with his real friends. We all tried to stop him, but it didn't work.

Suddenly, I'm annoyed at myself for ignoring Ross so long. Yeah, I was mad, but that drove him away and straight back to Jacob. He better not hurt him.

I take a deep breath and try to think of what to do now. It's probably time for me to talk to him again. It's not like I don't care - I still care about Ross as much as before. Things just got a little weird because we kissed at a bad time. I want to talk to him, I'm just nervous. If it weren't for my procrastination, I would have already done it.

He did hurt my feelings, but we've been friends ever since the start of the school year. We have to at least be on good terms again.

I head to the senior wing after school, putting my hands in my pockets to keep them from shaking.

Ross is at his locker, looking angry as he shoves his things in it and pulls on his coat.

I take a few timid steps towards him and wait.

He blinks in surprise when he sees me. "Jude..."

"Sorry I wouldn't talk to you. I was mad," I say, my voice shaking slightly. I don't remember the last time I was this nervous around him.

Ross sighs and his eyes wander off to the side. "I know. I'm sorry I hurt you." He looks sincere.

"I know you are." I sigh. "I hate this. But we're... still friends, right?"

Ross looks hopeful for a moment but then frowns. "Maybe you're better off without me, honestly. My life is a mess."

"Don't say that, I need you."

"You've got Gareth now."

"I do have Gareth, but that's not the same," I tell him. "You and I have been friends for months, and since you've been fighting with Taylor, who else do you have?"

He's quiet. At least he didn't say Jacob.

If we do become friends again, though, we have to figure out our feelings for each other too.

"Ross... do you still like me?" My voice is small and timid. My heart pounds in my chest as I wait for an answer.

I take the long, painful silence as a no, but right before I start to go he answers me.

"I do. It's just complicated."

"It was complicated weeks ago," I say. Has he still not figured out what he wants? "Are you still in a relationship?"

He shrugs. "It's not really a relationship..."

"I thought Taylor said he gave up on you."

Ross looks confused. "Taylor? What does this have to do with Taylor?"

My eyes widen. "You and Taylor..."

It takes him a while to realize what I mean, and then he frowns. "You thought I was dating Taylor?"

I blink at him. "You... you weren't?"

Ross shakes his head. "No way. We were just fighting."

I stare at him, still in disbelief that I'd misunderstood this whole time.

"Look, let's talk later if you're free tonight. I need to get going." He gives me a small, half-hearted smile and then walks down the hallway.

I hurry after him and grab ahold of his backpack, stopping him. "If it's not Taylor, then who?"

Ross looks over his shoulder at me. "Some guy I met a while ago, don't worry about it. We'll talk later, okay?"

I let go of him and watch him walk away.

Fine, I'll be patient a little longer.

-----

Author's Note: Hello, readers! I am so sorry about this week's delay. This chapter seemed so weird to me for some reason. I kept editing it but I'm still not entirely satisfied. I wanted to add more dialogue between Jude and Clara, but I couldn't get it right so I left it as a brief interaction. I have to keep reminding myself that this is just the first draft, that it doesn't have to be perfect yet. That's why it's on Wattpad, so I can get feedback and tips. If you could give me some comments so I can improve it, that would be much appreciated.

I did have to move some of this chapter to the next one, so that's why it's shorter than usual. This chapter was about 800 words while the next one is about 2000. I am going to update again this Thursday night, so I can get back to my regular updating schedule. Thank you for your patience this week!

I also added two new drawings to the illustrations chapter. That chapter is actually private, which means only followers can see it. Why? It's a gift for my followers with extra info about the characters and some artwork of them, to say thanks for your support! ...And only the extra stuff is private, the book itself will always be public, don't worry (:

- Shiloh